loft light and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to put a light in the loft and a double socket, I have access to a ring main socket but no mains lights as the loft is fully boarded. Any help would be great

Sponsored Links
You can run a loft light via a socket circuit. You use a switched fused spur to achieve this.

How exactly would you connect all this up?

This are ways of doingh this wrong!

I was going to spur from the mains socket and add a fuse box then a junction box and then run two cables from the junction box 1 to the light switch 2 to where I want the double socket.

I was going to spur from the mains socket and add a fuse box then a junction box and then run two cables from the junction box 1 to the light switch 2 to where I want the double socket.

Hmmm.

For a start, you shouldn't need a junction box.

Firstly, how many CABLES at the esisting socket; and what size fuse or circuit breaker serves that socket at the consumer unit?

Sponsored Links
If you have access to a socket outlet from the ring final circuit. You can spur off this (either directly or by use of a 13A fused connection unit) or extend the ring circuit without the need for FCU.
This can then allow you to install a socket at your desired position in the loft.
Once that has been completed using suitable cable normally 2.5mm2 twin and earth. and using the permitted safe zones for routing of cable and the permitted depth of chases within walls.
You could either plug a light fitting directly into socket outlet, or configure the circuit, so a second fuse connection unit can be fitted and reduce this rating to something between 1A-5A, then extend the circuit to provided lighting. If you install a switched fuse connection unit, this can then act as your functional switch for the light.
Requirements for RCD protection would also need to be complied to.

there are 2 cables going in to the socket and i don't know the what size fuse it is, its a new house only 6 month old

Ideally we need to know what socket circuit you have, if the property is only 6 months old, I expect you have been handed over the installation document. This would be a great help and source of information.
Finding two sets of cables at a socket outlet, is quite normal, but does not automatically tell us or you the type of circuit you have!

the loft is fully boarded
its a new house only 6 month old
An unusual combination - nearly all new houses these days have trussed roofs which have so little unhindered space in them that boarding them is pointless, and often they are only strong enough to support the ceiling plasterboard - just the weight of boards in the loft can be too much, let alone using it for storage and walking about.

I have access to a ring main socket but no mains lights
Where is the socket?

Hi, the easiest way to do what you require is install an unswitched FCU at the socket postion and run a 2.5mm cable from the load/outgoing side to the attic you can then safely add a switched FCU with a 3a fuse fitted for your light and as may sockets as you wish by looping off the supply cable to the FCU suppling the light.

The cable to the attic is protected by the 13a fuse in the unswitched FCU. You could install that in the attic if you prefer.

Regards,

DS

Hi, the easiest way to do what you require is install an unswitched FCU at the socket postion and run a 2.5mm cable from the load/outgoing side to the attic you can then safely add a switched FCU with a 3a fuse fitted for your light and as may sockets as you wish by looping off the supply cable to the FCU suppling the light.

The cable to the attic is protected by the 13a fuse in the unswitched FCU. You could install that in the attic if you prefer.

Regards,

DS

Perfect answer, remember the bit about the 13 amp fused spur from the original socket could go in the attic - this would be much neater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back