Loft Light, Switch and double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

Ive started the process of putting loft boards in my loft and making it into, initially a storage room and eventually a room.

Now I have installed new beams accross from the existing joist and half of the room is boarded up.

Now I want to put a light, light switch and if possible a double socket up there as well so i can have a fully functioning room.

Now to put the light, i dont think i have any issues, get the current light from the room downstairs get a jucntion box and wire the new light to it.

But, how do i put a light switch for it as well as a double socket?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Paulo

Sponsored Links
Ideally, both light and socket will be fed from an upstairs ring final circuit - via a fused spur.

Picture the scenario. You want to work on the upstairs lighting circuit. You need to isolate the upstairs lighting circuit to do this. But . . . your loft light is also on this circuit. Oops. :LOL:

So find a suitable socket in a bedroom and spur from it. Near the ceiling or wherever, install a fused spur:
MKK337.JPG

So that the whole feed to upstairs is protected by a 13 amp fuse, and you can have whatever you like up there then!

thanks Steve.

Hadnt thought of that. That makes it easier for the work to be done and as you said safer as well.

much appreciated.

paulo

Paulo- I hope you understand that the existing joists in an average loft are not designed to take any weight other than the weight of the material used to form it.

I understand that a no load bearing ceiling has , at most 30% of the strength of a load bearing ceiling with a floor above it.

Simply crossing the existing joists may not be good enough. I'd suggest you check the other DIYnot sections and post for details in the lofts section if you have any doubts.

Sponsored Links
Chris this may be true of preformed trusses, but in older homes which were built "rate" the roof joists are pretty sturdy!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back