loft lighting junction box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am extending my upstairs lighting into the loft and having a single bulkhead light fitted. This will be operated from a standard switch near the loft hatch. I have the wiring diagram for fitting a four way junction box, (switch cable, existing loom in, existing loom out, and new spur cable)...so I know how that will be arranged, but was wondering which kind of junction box I should get...i.e wattage ?
Sorry if this is such a real basic question, but I have all the info for the job apart from this :)
Many thanks & kind regards

M

Sponsored Links
5 amp, but i think you will find your lamp will be "dim", flourescents are good for lofts

Brilliant !..thanks for that Breezer. Will look into fluorescent light as well.

Cheers,

M

5 amp, but i think you will find your lamp will be "dim", flourescents are good for lofts
Just asked same sort of question today !
I was told 20amp or 30amp ! not 5amp junction box
I am running off a junction box already in loft on my circuit, to create new light and switch
JUST WANT TO KNOW WHO IS RIGHT :!: :!:

Sponsored Links
Breezer must of bn asleep when he posted that....

5amp i belive he refers to a Fused Spur for a light...

30amp everytime for a junc box..... bigger the better.... otherise its hard to get the cables in....

The point about large terminals not gripping small wires (1mm) is very valid. The terminal screws with a pointed end leave enough space for a a 1mm to fit loosely even when the screw is fully screwed down.

Having found this in a house with flickery lights my solution was to file off the points of the screws so a flat surface pressed onto the wires.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back