Loft lighting the best way forward....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have to oak beams that run the length of the house in my loft, I am looking to have some hidden down lights behind both beams (3 behind one long beam & two behind the other beam because the entrance is in the middle). I was thinking of putting 5 spotlights 50 watt each on mains 240volt, this would have a dimmer switch to lower the light level (as its more of a soft light I want). What is the lowest watt bulbs you can have connected to the mains? Would I need a high voltage dimmer switch? and are spot lights Ok to be used on a dimmer?...... The other option would be not to have a dimmer but have a transformer behind each beam and maybe have decking still low voltage lights. I worry about this second option because LED style lights tend to wear out after a few years (like my decking lights have). Any suggestions / advise welcome....

Sponsored Links
Is this loft a habitable room and needs feature lighting ? If not then spotlights are totally impractical for a loftspace.

Is this loft a habitable room and needs feature lighting ? If not then spotlights are totally impractical for a loftspace.
Sorry should have said....Yes its a lof conversion. I have the main spot light fitted already, but I'm now looking to fit soft down lights behind the beams. The wiring is all sorted up to the beams, just need to decide what lights to use and what switch / dimmer to use.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have to oak beams that run the length of the house in my loft, I am looking to have some hidden down lights behind both beams (3 behind one long beam & two behind the other beam because the entrance is in the middle).
What sort of lighting does the loft currently have?

I was thinking of putting 5 spotlights 50 watt each
I would have thought spotlights totally unsuitable for lighting a loft.

on mains 240volt, this would have a dimmer switch to lower the light level (as its more of a soft light I want).
So you're deliberately putting in lights which are too bright and then dimming them...

What is the lowest watt bulbs you can have connected to the mains?
I think you can get 1-2W CFLs

Would I need a high voltage dimmer switch?
I don't think they make them. ;)

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

and are spot lights Ok to be used on a dimmer?......
If you dim halogen lamps they go black and have a shortened life.

The other option would be not to have a dimmer but have a transformer behind each beam and maybe have decking still low voltage lights.
Extra-low voltage.

And an xW ELV lamp is just as bright, or even brighter, than an xW LV lamp.

Any suggestions / advise welcome....
Fluorescent strips.

I have the main spot light fitted already,
Does it do a good job of lighting up the entire space?

but I'm now looking to fit soft down lights behind the beams.
Fluorescent strips - they'll be hidden, remember....

just need to decide what lights to use and what switch / dimmer to use.
Fluorescent strips on a dimmer.

Goind to go for low voltage LED lights 1.3 watt on normal switch. 3 on each beam....... The truth is I was amazed at all the product on the market these days that was not available 6 or 7 years ago!.....Thanks to Everyone for Help and pushing me in the right direction :))

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back