loft options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

we have a loft space currently boarded over 6 x 2 joists with 150mm rockwool insulation. full of boxes of books and other random stuff we haven't touched since moving in.

Ideally I want to create a space that could become a spare bedroom, probably used a couple of times a month.

unfortunately the head height is only about 6 foot from the boards to the apex. the rafters are only 3 x 2's

I'm never going to get to stand up in the room but for a temporary space where people will generally lie down I'm weighing it up.

I'll never get building regs because of the head height so I'm not really looking at that.

So basically I was thinking just foil backed plasterboard across the rafters up to the purlins and a stud wall to cover the eaves. it is a gable end terraced, so I'd foil back the gable end external wall too.

given the small rafters and already limited head height I wasn't going to put any insulation in. so yes it will be cold, but for the only occasional use I'll just stick a heater on for a the night.

Ventilation is currently soffit vents and dry ridge venting. The felt is old school sarking felt beneath tiled roof.

should I be looking to increase ventilation maybe some tile vents?
should I be leaving a gap in the plasterboard anywhere for more ventilation?
perhaps using some battens across the rafters to get to cross air flow?

basically I'm just thinking get the ventilation right any other things can be solved - like heating or air conditioning etc.

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Hopefully no one will give you any advice when you blatantly wish to create a death trap of a bedroom.

Because some unwitting guest sleeping up there could burn to death. But its true that fires only happen to someone else.

Sponsored Links
Yes, unless there is fire escape via a velux window.

I hadn't posted the whole plan - including fire escape. Just as I didn't ask, for instance, about electrics or indeed natural light.

I was just trying to establish if ventialtion should be increased.

So to my original questions on ventilation does anyone have any insight?

Presumably you are not going to raise such low awareness then.

anyone else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back