loft / power supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Power supply needed in my loft...... going to be powering 2 bedrooms (xbox, stereos, hairdryer, tv, etc)

Do I run a new ring from the consumer unit?
Or just break into / extend the first floor ring??

Loft conversion not started yet, so either way is possible to me.
Just wondered which way (if any) was the "correct" way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
When are you doing the loft conversion?

Given that this whole thing will be notifiable, and that you won't be able to keep the electrical work hidden from the BCO, and that your questions indicate that you have a lot of learning to do before you are competent to DIY, I think the correct way will be for you to use a registered electrician.

Both options are perfectly acceptable but it would be preferable to run a new ring final if you have a spare way in your consumer unit.

GaryMo... thankyou very much. Simple and straightforward answer.

Ban-All-Sheds ... Just asked the question so that if I do indeed have to use a separate ring from the CU, I can get on with chasing out / running the wire.
Leaving it unconnected to the CU and spooled in the loft, ready for a spark to fix when needed.

Sponsored Links
your better bet would be to chase in a couple of coduits and leave them empty.. that way the sparks can run his own cable and be certain there are no screwed joints burried in a wall etc...

either that or you can't plaster over the chases untill the sparkies been..

As you're going to be using an electrician the ONLY person you can ask about things is her.

She will be the one who will have to sign a certificate to say

"I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my
signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design,
Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my
knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008
"

and she will be the one who has to certify to Building Control that what she did complied with the law.

Please ask her what she is prepared to let you do in advance.

It is polite to refer to sparks in the feminine due to their weekend habits.

Plus in the sparks magazine I read a while ago, there are a couple of female sparks winning some award or other - I think it was "best female spark" or "first good looking female spark we could find to photograph" I can't remember now.

As you're going to be using an electrician the ONLY person you can ask about things is her.

She will be the one who will have to sign a certificate to say

"I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my
signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design,
Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my
knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008
"

and she will be the one who has to certify to Building Control that what she did complied with the law.

Please ask her what she is prepared to let you do in advance.

The advice was all I wanted. But thanks for the free dose of pedantry. ;)

It is polite to refer to sparks in the feminine due to their weekend habits.

Plus in the sparks magazine I read a while ago, there are a couple of female sparks winning some award or other - I think it was "best female spark" or "first good looking female spark we could find to photograph" I can't remember now.

There were two female sparks in my year group at college, and I beleive we even have our very own lady electrician lurking on this forum. :)

ban's entered a parallel universe where female sparks are common. :LOL:
They do exist, so why not sometimes say "she will have to..." and not always "he will have to..."?

Believe me, it says a lot more about all of you who remark on it than it does me, and none of it good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back