Loft Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Storm damage made a mess of my roof and ripped some holes in the felt.

I've managed to plug largest hole but whilst lm waiting on a roofer lm not sure what to do about the smaller hole. Water is drizzling inside and down the beam. Picture below. Any advice to plug that hole? It’s been about a week like so but l’ve only just noticed it. What kind of damage can it do? The hole is coming from the left of that light you see and slightly up. Basically where the wood is stained with white.

My other question is about some guttering type between the felt and the loft board. If you look at the end you see this strip of black plastic material. Can anyone tell me what that is? To the right is an overflow pipe. However that piece of black plastic material has been removed/blown away from the winds. Does it need to be fixed back? As in the third pic you can see daylight where that black plastic strip would be.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
Hi,
Holes in roofing felt can be fixed with 'flashband'; it's easily available from Screwfix/Toolstation etc.
Just make sure the felt is dust free and warmed gently first with a hairdryer/heatgun!

For the black plastic material, are you talking about an 'eaves vent tray'; something like:
1236_2.jpg
It main purpose is to stop insulation blocking eaves ventilation to the loft, which in your case, doesn't seem to be an issue! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back