Loft: Random plasterboard between rafters - why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come across some random plasterboard in-between a few of our loft rafters.

The previous owners had a two-storey extension built 10 years ago with some new roofing that joined onto the existing roof. There is some overlap between new roof felt (beathable) and the old existing felt (the black stuff).

Each long sheet of plasterboard seems to be sitting below the join betyween old and new felt. It's barely held in place as whoever put it up just used two nails around the middle, so many have slipped or are bent by now. It's the sort of typical bodge job I've seen across the house since we bought it!

Pictures below:

https://imgur.com/a/2hrRB8A

As indicated, I removed one piece of plasterboard today (one that had almost fallen out anyway). As you can see, the breathable felt behind looked a little mouldy, yet despite massive rainfall and wind today the breathable felt was bone dry. The other pieces of plasterboard make a loud vibrating noise when its windy.

I've been up in the loft alot over the last two winters and have never seen any water or condensation.

The plasterboard has me puzzled! It is only there in about a quarter of the rafter cavities.

Why is the plasterboard there at all?

2hrRB8A

Sponsored Links
Why is it there? No idea. Normally when you board out a loft you stuff insulation between the rafters, leaving an air gap between the top of the insulation and the felt, then board across the joists. The way that is done makes no sense at all, unless it was some cockamamy attempt at reducing draughts

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back