Loft Space Ventilation advice pls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - i am hoping to pick a few brains...Our house (2 bed semi) has a tiny loft space with pretty much no ventilation and as such we are getting a lot of condensation.
In short we are unsure whether to put in roof vents - and if so how many, what position etc - or whether to tackle the condensation at the lower level of putting in extractor fans in the bathroom and kitchen.
We can't put in airbricks in the loft space as the roof is hipped (I think that's right) so no brickwork to use.
Any more info needed pls let me know - any help/advice much appreciated thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Roof/ tile vents installed both low and high, to create through flow of air.

where is your condensation?
if its your bathroom it will also help to install an extractor fan, and follow the rules regarding condensation problems their causes and solutions in the sticky on condensation/dampness.

Hi. Another option is to drill holes in sofit and fit plastic circular vents (there name escapes me) to opposing wides of the property as to generate air flow through the roof space. Good luck

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies !

Tried the circular soffit vent option - but the roof slopes lower than the level of the loft and when we came to drilling, hit what felt like slate - even small holes just to see if we could see daylight in the loft was unsuccessful so we abandoned that idea.

We are thinking an extractor fan in the bathroom is possibly the way to go first as that is the most prb area and then probably vent tiles in the roof as well. We have had a few quotes from roofers re the vents but all say different things re: how many, where to place them etc so it's hard to know who to trust.

We also have a slight leak in the chimney but don't know the cause - again we can get a quote for flashing/repointing but when you hire someone and they actually go up to check you worry they will claim it is something much worse than initially thought and charge ++. First house for us so on a budget!

Anyone know any good roofers in the West Midlands ?? (or can we not recommend on this site?)

Thanks again for the input - much appreciated.

You would be better off sorting out any excess condensation in the kitchen and bathroom, if this is the problem

What is the actual problem in the loft? Many, if not all loft may experience some condensation - even vented lofts do.

If you are causing the condensation in the rooms below, venting the loft is not going to stop it, and paying someone to fit some roof or soffit vents will be a waste of money.

Search the recent posts on loft condensation and I've posted about how to vent the loft by opening the felt at the laps

We have been in the house nearly 2 years and recently went up in the loft to find water droplets dripping off the felt all over the loft. We were away all last week in the bad weather and had the heating on all the time and the loft was dry when we returned - so stating the obv. we are creating the prb and we assume it is the bathroom thats the main prb area. We don't get condensation on the windows and the house is not damp/does not smell damp etc. We don't dry clothes in the house etc... but obv this water needs somewhere to escape - prb an extrator fan in the bathroom is the first way to go and assess the roof space from then re vents.

Thanks for all the replies - it's helpful getting some other perspectives on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back