Log burner regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

we are planning to install a log burner and we are in a budget. The first people who came to give us a quote told us that the log burner needs to be on top of a granite big slab since we have wooden floor. he quoted us just for the slab around £200 but we have seen granite tables selling very cheap second hand which may save us some money. My question is what are the regulations saying about the dimensions of the slabs? I would like to get one myself but dont want to buy the wrong one.

Sponsored Links
If the hearth is on a combustible floor it must be at least 250mm thick.

I think the second part of that sentence is important

If the hearth is on a combustible floor it must be at least 250mm thick. Some stove manufactures have models that have been designed and tested to have a hearth temperature not exceeding 100 degrees centigrade, in this case a 12mm hearth can be used.

temperature not exceeding 100 degrees centigrade

should the words be ""not exceeding 100 degrees centigrade in normal circumstances""

Would a 12 mm hearth be adequate to prevent damage to / ignition of the combustible floor if the stove was burning abnormally hot ?

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-6-26_10-43-32.png

Information from manufacturer. Other manufactures may provide different information / requirements that may be specific to their stoves

Bernard, I see you live in a thatched cottage which may give you a different perspective, but you are being selective in the information you are posting. The other half of what you have just posted is:-

Capture.JPG

"However, if the stove will not increase the floor temperature above 100°C, the superimposed hearth can be used solely"

OP - select a stove that can be specifically be used with a 12mm hearth, and get someone to provide something suitable. It all has to be HETAS approved/installed anyway. Job jobbied.

you are being selective in the information

as are some manufacturers of log burners.

live in a thatched cottage which may give you a different perspective

true.... but also my perspective includes awareness of abnormal but not impossible incidents of stoves burning out of control and getting much hotter than the approved hearth was designed for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back