1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Log cabin base near sewer inspection cover?

Discussion in 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' started by TheSandman69, 9 May 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheSandman69

TheSandman69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We're hoping to build a cabin in our garden, the internal floor space is under 30m² but there is a public sewer that runs underneath where we plan to build and there is an inspection cover that will be near the base.
    Is there a minimum proximity to the inspection cover that we can build? I can't find a number anywhere
    Also, we're planning on building the footings in a concrete slab style with brick surround holding in the hardcore, so it will be all above ground, will this exempt us in any way from the building regs in relation to the pipe?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it’s going to be under 30sq.m and complies with the rest of the BR exemptions, then Building Control wouldn’t get involved at all so would not be able to dictate as to how you build it...

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

As for a public sewer/manhole, your water authority would not allow this to be internal or located under a building. You will have to seek approval from your water authority along with requesting the manhole is re-located.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheSandman69

TheSandman69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the reply, but I meant that I'm planning on building as close to the manhole as I can, do you know how close I can get?

5. DevilDamo

DevilDamo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    With it being a public sewer/manhole, that is for your water authority to decide.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Alec_t

Alec_t

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ask your local water authority.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TheSandman69

TheSandman69

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  8. ^woody^

^woody^

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As close as you like as long as you can lift the lid up.

If the cabin is exempt from building regs it's exempt in relation to the pipe too.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sponsored Links