Logic Puzzle (incorrectly wired 2-way switch)

I have also done a diagram of what I think it should look like and basically have come to the same conclusions as Securespark.

I have tried looking at it from different perspectives, but nothing else works.

My diagram is a bit rough but if you want me to post it I will.

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

If you could post it or send it to me, that would be great. I've tried the same today (with my limited knowledge of electrics). After reading both of your posts I intend to find some spare time and get my multimeter out over the weekend and identify which cables are going where, but any other suggestions to save me doing this would be very helpful.

Thanks again...

We can't save you from trying to use the MM. It's your ticket out of this mess!

You need it to ID the cables and try & make sense of the wiring to get it going again.

Here's my diagram for what it's worth:

RoughWiringSketch.jpg

And here's how I see it working:

RoughWiringSketchII.jpg

securespark said:
We can't save you from trying to use the MM. It's your ticket out of this mess!

OK, was worth a try :) I'll try and find some time this weekend (got a few things on) and report back....

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Pah!

Don't mock the afflicted!

Anyway, yous lot couldn't even be bothered to help, so you can't talk!! :LOL:

But yes, I'd had a glass of Rioja, and these days I'm anybody's when that happens, plus I was trying to knock off an extra-quick drawing of what I'd put on the back of an envelope, with the result that it looks like a drunk spider has done the Charleston across the screen!

And yes, you burgers, I'd forgotten about the fact that I could insert text into Paint.

Don't like you anymore.....

OK,

Here it is....

loungewiring.jpg

This is how it is now (after the change I did last week). The red dotted lines represent wires that are live (I disconnected everything before checking with my multimeter).

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.

Swap the two C's around on the dimmers??

I assume that cable:

1 = Q

4 = P

2 = X (or Y)

3 = Y (or X)

I agree.

Swap the wires connected to the two 'C' terminals on the left hand switch in your diagram. Should work a treat :D

See how much easier a picture makes things :LOL:

Yeah, sorry - changed my numbering scheme....

1 = Z ( = Q after I tested it)
2 = X
3 = Y
4 = P

I'm getting confused now :(

Hopefully the last diagram should make some sense - probably better to ignore everything before it....

Cheers.

Don't get confused!

Try putting the red of the 3 core into the common next to the blue & yellow, after vacating the terminal. Then put the wire you removed into the common of the other dimmer module.

It's a bit late now (and I've had a couple of beers which won't help). I'll try tomorrow night and let you know.

Thanks again for the help - much appreciated...

Oh, the suspense!

Can my fingers bear it?

I eagerly await your next response with baited breath... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back