Logs in log store have mould

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I built what I think is a pretty good log store about a year ago and stocked it up after reading about airflow and so on.

Started using it recently with logs that have been seasoning all summer and were nice and clean to start with. As I get under the first couple of rows there is quite a bit of surface mould.

The logs actually burn ok so is this just something that happens in damp months?I have a lot of wood stored here and am kind of relying on being able to use it!

Sponsored Links
d000hg, good evening.

OK surface mould on dead timber will occur, that is what happens at this time of year, mushrooms Etc.

So long as the mould is on the surface then no serious problems, this is a natural process the important bit is that the logs still burn well, because the mould has not had enough time to "get in-to" the logs themselves

I have burned "dry" but rotted wood, actually quite well?? more air and faster combustion????

Ken.

Good to know, thanks. It's just concerning to find wood that should be seasoned and appears damp.

Sponsored Links
Post photos of the log shed
Weather permitting I shall try!

Though I'm worried about starting some flame war because I know how opinionated people are about log storage ;)

So here are photos progressively zooming in. It's the round logs I'm having issues with, next to the orange bag, the others seem ok.
They look great until you get up close.

IMG_20191102_145022.jpg IMG_20191102_144924.jpg IMG_20191102_145012.jpg

I've got one of those.

This was designed so there's is ventilation on literally every side, including underneath and at the back. It's located in a place that gets a fair amount of sun and is exposed to wind... And I tried to stack logs so there are gaps between them.
How would I add more ventilation still?

Could it be that (from the photos) the logs with the mould problem are exposed to the elements more than the other ones as the roof in that area doesn't seem to cover the whole log store area?

Very difficult to ventilate more.....the outer logs are getting sunlight which mould spores don't like. I don't think you can do much about it apart from shifting the logs round a bit which is a bore.
Are the mouldy logs below 15% moisture?
John :)

You could do with more roof overhang , looks like it wouldn't take much for the outside logs to get soaked?

Very difficult to ventilate more.....the outer logs are getting sunlight which mould spores don't like. I don't think you can do much about it apart from shifting the logs round a bit which is a bore.
Are the mouldy logs below 15% moisture?

20% moisture is allegedly the optimum.

Ah right.....my own moisture meter (hitachi) shows a green light at around 15, amber at 20 and red at 25+.......no idea how accurate it is, of course.
Logs in a stack should get to around the 15% mark if the rain can't get to them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back