Long shot but can anybody help me identify what this green stuff that's leaked is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

About a month or so my wife put some canvases in my boiler cupboard for storage. She went to take them out today and noticed a dirty green residue on them
20210326_131311.jpg

Looking at the cupboard there is an old unused (and cut) pipe above where they were kept. Looking at this pipe it looks like there is some of this green residue in it
20210326_131210.jpg

20210326_131221.jpg

Further looking about shows some green powdery residue on other items that have been below this pipe. It is not constantly leaking, whatever it is must be very gradual.

There is an old water tank in my loft but I had this isolated, I'm 90% sure that this pipework was already cut back when I bought the house so shouldn't be for the water tank.

Any ideas on this? I could seal the exposed pipe up but I guess all this will do is cause whatever the stuff is to build up

Sponsored Links
Is there water in the tank?

Andy

Hi Andy

It's possible, I'll need to get up after work to check. It's an old asbestos tank, I absolutely hate touching it!

It's *possible* the pipe work was related to the hot water cylinder that used to be in there (cold water supply, hot water from cylinder and a vent?) My loft gets extremely cold in the winter so I'm thinking maybe condensation building up in pipe and oxidising the copper?

Sponsored Links
Is the tank in use? Or do you have a combi now?

Andy
Hi, have a combi now. Old hot water cylinder removed and water tank isolated.

I think there's a fairly decent chance the 3 pipes are related to the old cylinder. I found this old photo on my phone and it shows some pipework going in that vicinity, can't be absolutely certain tho
Screenshot_20210326-134850_Gallery.jpg

You need to confirm that the tank in the loft is empty and not being used by anything and also confirm there is no water supply going to it.

Andy

You need to confirm that the tank in the loft is empty and not being used by anything and also confirm there is no water supply going to it.

Andy

Ok cheers, I'm pretty certain that they completely cut away the supply to the water tank so there certainly shouldn't be any water going to it at least

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back