1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Long term rainwater penetration of gable end.

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by Les99, 30 Dec 2019.

1. Les99

Les99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Help please!?! My friend has rainwater penetration during heavy rain. The roof tiles have been replaced recently and the whole gable end is coated with a waterproofing system. I didn't see it go on but I think it was panels fixed to the render then coated with a waterproof substance. This coating doesn't extend right the way up to the underside of the new tiles, it stops short by about 75mm, finishing with what appears (from ground level) to be a square edge. On the ground floor a window aperture has been widened to make space for two windows and a door. The penetrating water splashes onto this door and window frame then into the room. Decorations are ruined regularly. My involvement initially was to re-decorate. Now I've persuaded my friend to cure the water leak first and then decorate. The gable end is a cavity wall with no insulation. This has been leaking for the best part of 20 years with each "repair" just slowing down the penetration. There appears to be no cavity tray above the new door and window - certainly no weep vents that I can see. Any suggestions welcome as to where to go and how to diagnose. Regards Les

2. Sponsored Links
  3. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Post plenty of pictures and I'm sure we could find out whats going on.

4. Notch7

Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So the situation is that water is getting across the cavity, making the inner skin damp as well as sitting on top of the window door lintel and getting in. Thats a bit weird as surely a new lintel was fitted and it would be normal to either fit a catnic or add a cavity tray.

I dont understand what has been added to the outside, Ive never heard of waterproof panels and waterproofing. Most external cladding systems require battens to form a cavity.

5. Les99

Les99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your interest. I've added a couple of pictures. Scaffolding going up in the new year - more pics then. 20191211_092733.jpg 20191211_092715.jpg

6. datarebal

datarebal

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The Verge is not bedded and pointed correctly

7. Les99

Les99

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm of the same opinion, Datarebal. Let you know in due course

8. Sponsored Links