Looking for a narrow stile mortice sashlock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am totally new to the forum. After about 25 years one of our locks has broken but I can't find a replacement anywhere.I have looked online and tried a few builders merchants.This lock fits in to a hardwood door that we want to keep intact so I don't want to try and fit an alternative size. Anyway, the door would not accommodate a wider backset. The door opens outwards from the garage to the back garden. It was originally fitted by a chippy.It's a mortice sash lock, rebated.The lock in question is hand reversible. The bit that's causing me a problem is that it is a very shallow lock.It has a 32mm backset.The case length is 102mm.The strike plate length is 140mm. Does anyone know if this size is still available?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
probably. post some photos please.

Of the lock case, the front plate, and any markings. Can you see the maker's name? How secure do you want it to be?

Is the case 52mm deep and 18mm thick?

What part(s) of the lock is broken?

A matching rebate may be tricky. What are its dimensions?

PHOTO_20181204_195406.jpg
Thanks for responding so quickly.Yes, case is 52mm deep x 18mm thick. The key got stuck during an attempt to unlock. The abutting door could not be removed so I had to remove key after breaking (of which the BIT is in the photo) then use an angle grinder on the latch/dead bolts. I am assuming this is a 2 lever ? I know little about locks!! Security not an issue on this door,though. Looking at the facing plate, the narrow section is 10mm wide,it then widens to 20mm full width.The narrow section of 10mm starts to widen after 27mm from each end of the faceplate. I expect there was a smarter way to tackle this but for reasons I won't go in to, I had to get the door open pretty soon. Photies attached.I can not see the maker's name on the case. Unfortunately the angle grinder scored the face plate.

Attachments

• PHOTO_20181204_194909.jpg
    PHOTO_20181204_194909.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 237
Sponsored Links
This kind of thing would almost do (It is a copy of a discontinued Legge lock)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Willenha...yed-Alike-L11428/181916666372?redirect=mobile

The problem is the rebate. You can sometimes get add-on rebate kits for more expensive locks like the Chubb 3G220

Maybe someone good at woodwork can describe how to get round it. Or you could ask the retailer or maker.

Or you could convert to a rimlock.

Either a Yale type lock or something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Bri...3fb0d69b1b:g:KlMAAOSwA29b5AQ6&redirect=mobile

The FB locks are better than most rimlock you see, which are hardly strong enough for a coalshed

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The 57mm backset locks are ordinary three-inch case lock. The backset is not the depth of the case, it is the distance from the centre of the keyhole to the front of the lock, which is always less.

please show the depth measurement of your case, from the other side. It looks bigger than 52mm to me.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
The depth measurement of the case is definitely 52mm,checking both sides. The key-good point!-it shows "Union" and "M36H" on the other side.Before I just discovered the key (!!) I did actually do a Google search and found a Union lock number 2242.The problem is that the case depth 65.5mm is too deep for the door.I found lots of rebated sash locks but so far nothing with a 52mm case depth. Closest so far seems to be John D #8 Willenhall -32mm backset and 52mm case depth.

I could just lengthen the recess in the door to accommodate the longer case length which is 108mm instead of 102mm.Unless my original dimension is out there somewhere. Question-could it really be no one makes it anymore? I find it hard to believe and wonder where on earth my chippy sourced it from 25 years ago!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back