Looking for a specific switch type-contact only when touched

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the title says, I'm looking to find out if a specific type of wall switch/button is available.

I need one that only completes the circuit when the button is pressed, as soon as it is let go the circuit should break again. I have seen dimmer switches that mechanically appear to behave the way I want, but I'm not sure how the operate electrically - i.e. I guess they 'latch' on, and cycle through set resistance levels on order to give the dimming functions. For example - http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electric...-Touch-Dimmer-Switch-Polished-Chrome-11867867

ae235

Has anyone come across the type of switch I'm looking for? (assuming my explanation makes any sense!)

Sponsored Links
Yep thats exactly what I'm looking for in terms of function (quite familiar with them in that form!) but I'm looking for one in a house switch panel form similar to the picture in my first post. Are they available?

You can get normal light switches than retract/spring back when you push them. Is that what you want or do you mean you want a button with chrome button/mount exactly as per your picture?

Sponsored Links
You can get normal light switches than retract/spring back when you push them. Is that what you want or do you mean you want a button with chrome button/mount exactly as per your picture?

Ideally I would like one with the chrome panel/button as in the picture as it will then tie in with the other counter-level sockets in the kitchen.

Is there a specific term used for the type of switches you mention, that may help me in searching for one in the style I am looking to find?

There are a number of retractive switches out there, but I have never seen one with a round button.

What do you want to use it for?

They look to have the function I need so it must be a retractive switch I am looking for!

There are a number of retractive switches out there, but I have never seen one with a round button.

What do you want to use it for?

I don't mind not having a round button, that picture was just the closest thing I had come across, the chrome finish is more important

It will be used to control some decking lights that have a retractive/momentary switch that is used to cycle through the different colours/sequences. But I want to wire them into a proper wall switch instead of having to stick an ugly plastic box somewhere (currently its just a little inline box with a button). I expect I will have to do a bit of soldering to take the wires off to the wall switch but that isnt a problem.

Thanks for the help

or get a chrome blank plate and chose from one of the hundreds of push to make switches around and create your own bespoke switch

What brand / range are the sockets you're trying to match?

There's likely to be either a retractive switch or a gridswitch module in most major manufacturer's ranges.

OK, so it does not really have to be able to handle 10amps at 230v then.

The trouble with THIS forum is that (in general) we deal with mains voltage devices, so the choice is limited.

If I were you I would try googling "push button switch chrome"

I found this http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Push_Button_Switches.html
see about the seventh down on the list (PBS7)

No your right, it'll be significantly lower current, although as I will be mounting the switch on the wall I want it to match the current fittings, so therefore will most likely be using a mains specification switch anyway. Thanks for the link, if I end up having to fabricate my own switch panel that could certainly be useful (incidentally if its useful to anyone Polevolt is a great website for automotive wiring - I have built a couple of vehicle/engine harnesses with their components and been very pleased).

or get a chrome blank plate and chose from one of the hundreds of push to make switches around and create your own bespoke switch

Having done some research yesterday this seems like a good option and one I didn't realise I had. Can you recommend any good suppliers of the component parts?

What brand / range are the sockets you're trying to match?

There's likely to be either a retractive switch or a gridswitch module in most major manufacturer's ranges.

I'm not entirely sure, I'll have to pull one off the wall and see if its printed anywhere, I'm told its an MFI kitchen fitted around 2006. Thats a good idea though I'll check tonight!

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/push-button-switches-accessories/push-button-switches/

this is a good place to start

Thanks for taking the time to post the link, but unfortunately as I say I am looking for domestic style wall mounted switches, not the automotive/industrial style switches. I thought you were referring to modular domestic switch panels in your last post - something more along these lines - http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/switches-and-sockets/grid-systems-and-modules

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back