Looking for a specific switch type-contact only when touched

Sponsored Links
you will probably find that you need to stick to one brand though,

so if you get GET switches, you will also need a GET faceplate and yoke, the same applies to CLICK, MK etc

Ah good point. Are they the main brands that do modular switches then? I'll have a browse through their catalogues.

Thanks for the help, its appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The 1 gang twin switch panel would be ideal, that way I can have the 240v lights switched on the same panel.

Only if you have a barrier between the mains and (extra)low-voltage side.

For sure, goes without saying!

I've just had a look behind one of the current sockets and it looks like they are GET sockets - Nickel Black finish and still available. I called one of the retailers and they are now looking to see if a 2 gang modular switch set is available.

A 'push to exit' switch would do the job, and they are definitely available on a 1gang plate, with a round button

EDIT:

I found one! https://www.specialized-security.co.uk/dl09-1726.html

You could then get a chrome blanking plate and drill a hole in it. The Push to Exit bit is just a plastic ring that can be removed and thrown away.

They would not be suitable for mains voltage, but not sure if thats an issue?

Thanks for all the help. I think I have stumbled across exactly what I need.

As I am trying to match some sockets that are already in place I took one off and checked the manufacturer - it was made by GET, now known as Schneider Electric. Fortunately enough they sell switches in a 'Grid' system - which I now understand is basically a mix and match of plates, switches, mechanisms etc. They have a 3 gang (going to add a third light) plate, retractive switches and they also sell the Grid systems in the exact finish I am looking for - job done!

http://www.decswitch.com/shop/Ultimate_Screwless_Grid_Plates.html

Thought I'd conclude this thread with an update of the final outcome - very pleased with the result, ended up exactly as I had hoped!

This is the switch panel next to one of the original sockets (fitted in 2006)

The leftmost switch is currently unused (included it as I intend to put a high level light up on the back wall at some point). The middle switch is the retractive switch to operate the LEDs and the right hand switch operates the light post.

Here is a zoomed out shot with the (almost) completed decking and lights in action

Depending on how good you are at "making things", you could probably get a switch from the range you want, and adapt the internals - possibly just mounting a small push button switch behind the rocker in place of the existing back and contacts.

Depending on how good you are at "making things", you could probably get a switch from the range you want, and adapt the internals - possibly just mounting a small push button switch behind the rocker in place of the existing back and contacts.

This was my backup option but luckily I had a result and found the exact setup I was looking for as the pics above show. Very pleased - although one of the LEDs has started playing up.

Very annoyed as the connectors for each LED are about 1m down the wire each way meaning I am going to have to take up 6-8 boards to replace it!

You could have avoided all of the switching problems with an LED system that uses a wireless RGB controller. You can get ones which work via a smartphone app if you want.

Just thinking - if you've had one failure already, and are having to take boards up....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back