looking for advice on worcester boiler leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The leaking is likely around the nut under the circulation pump as shown in the photo. The boiler is worcester 24cdi, mightbe 15 years old now.

I am wondering whether I can fix the problem by unscrewing the nut and having a cleaning then tightening it again with some PTFE tape. I will discharge the boiler before I carry out the work.

I appreciate any advice to help me get the job properly done.
Thanks in advance
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is it actually actively leaking - i.e. are you losing pressure and can you see a leak rather than evidence of a past leak?

PTFE on the threads will not help - needs a washer between the pump flange and connector.

Or it may just need nipping up

Never seen one leak from there but a good overnight slug of penetrating oil and a couple of 22mm fibre washers should sort it.

To cure leaks ( where the flange may have been pitted by rust ) I find that the rubber washers are better.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Each to their own, I hate them....too easy too bend out of shape when you slide them into the join.

Thanks to all.
I took all the radiators down last summer due to decoration work on the wall. Since then the boiler started to lose pressure gradually. I spotted several water leaks around connection between radiator valve and pipe. But the boiler still lose pressure after I fixed these problems by wrapping some PTFE tape around the pipe thread. Later I found this in the boiler. I assume it is leaking

Each to their own, I hate them....too easy too bend out of shape when you slide them into the join.

I prefer them, you only have to nip the unions up. Makes it easier to remove next time round. It makes my day when I change a pump that is barely hand tight.

Thanks again.
To change the washer should I loose the two nuts on both ends of the pipe or should I lift the pump a bit up then get the pipe disconnected? It seems not a easy job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back