looking for experience

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am undertaking my city & guilds as a plumber, and I am tying to find someone in the Cheshire area who would'nt mind letting me work along side them on the odd day.

I have just completed a bathroom re-fit in two days ( moving all pipework and drainage) plus fully tiled it in a week.

I have plumbed washing machines and dishwashers in the past (basic stuff) but I would like to get involved in bigger jobs for the experience and to help me with the course.

I am 39 and have left it a bit late but i'm stuck in a dead end job and hope the course will help me start a new career at some point.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help.

Thanks for reading my post!

Sponsored Links
Cant help but give me a mundane job over trying to run a plumbing business these days.

Hold onto any kind of paye job in preference to going self employed in the building trades right now.

If your job is coming to an end that's another story.

I got where I am out of necessity.

HI
Not in your area but started plumbing course at 46yrs (I'm 47 now). I think it comes down to confidence and work experience with guidance. That doesn't necessarily mean with someone to hand. Only accept jobs you feel you can cope with. It's amazing how much you can learn since nothing goes text book style! Ask advice from plumbing suppliers, I've found them very helpful. I still have a part-time job to bring in money on a monthly basis and my plumbing work provides the rest (sometimes). Places like this are also good for seeking info from more experienced folks. I'm happy replacing bathroom suites (no 2 seem to be the same), working with cisterns, mending leaks etc. If you wish I can give you my e-mail address and we can help each other out from a distance.
E

Don't forget that knowing how to do the plumbing is only 1 part of the job.

Being able to converse with a customer and being polite and respectful is just as important in my book.

If I was looking to employ somebody else I would be looking for these qualities very strongly.

I would not employ the best plumber/gas installeron the planet if he couldn't converse intelligently with customers whether they were unemployed bums, scientists or multi-millionaires.

Sponsored Links
Got a job on in bosley near macc over coming months.
If you want to come and give a hand and possibly learn something ;) you're welcome to tag along, mostly weekends.
All copper installation, lpg combi boiler and ch system, solvent waste, underground drainage to poo eater, wetroom, kitchen, 3 stage filtration system from borehole, and a couple of whb in bedrooms.
Just got to build the ****ing building its all going in first ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back