Looking for new boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have an old Potterton kingfisher floor standing boiler in the corner of my kitchen [dead space normally, between units] it was secondhand when installed about 15 years ago [relative was corgi engineer and removed it during a job] if I want to replace is there a floor standing boiler thats suitable and have any regs changed preventing it being a straight exchange? If so any recommendation for boiler [will supply 9 rads and hot water in three bed end of terrace].

Sponsored Links
Have an old Potterton kingfisher floor standing boiler in the corner of my kitchen [dead space normally, between units] it was secondhand when installed about 15 years ago [relative was corgi engineer and removed it during a job] if I want to replace is there a floor standing boiler thats suitable and have any regs changed preventing it being a straight exchange? If so any recommendation for boiler [will supply 9 rads and hot water in three bed end of terrace].

Look at a W-Bosch 440 Highflow. Washing machine sized and will fill a bath in zippo time giving power showers from the mains.

Bigburner, I seem to recall that a few weeks/months ago, you'd gone off Worcesters - have you changed your mind?

OP, with the change in regulations you will need to consider the condensate pipework, and possible plume issues.

OP, are you wanting to keep your HW cylinder, or change to a combi?

Sponsored Links
BB perhaps you have a very blinkered understanding but this fellow wants to change JUST the boiler to a current condensing model.

I think there is a Mexico HE and a floor standing Baxi HE although I would not recommend either as I consider wall mounted boilers to be the best way to fit a boiler for ease of installation and maintenance.

Tony

If you want to take the advice of someone who is incompetent, unqualified and has never fitted a boiler or unvented cylinder in his life, then go ahead.

All his information is obtained from brochures and the internet, where in both mediums, manufacturers are always going to paint their products in a good light. Just search his previous, outrageous posts on here and then see for yourself. The only posters that appear to agree with him are those that are him using a different 'alias' and talking to himself

Thanks for the advice, I will be changing for a standard boiler, combi's are not reliable enough for me, [my daughter has had 4 combi's in two properties over about 8 years]and more expensive to run for a larger property and would also involve a lot more cost, and require replacement of my shower as it's currently a pumped power shower.The mexico seems to suit my needs and flue specs are suitable for my boiler location.

The best combis are reliable and very economical to run.

However, combis are not the solution to all heating requirements and a hot water storage cylinder has many advantages.

I am glad my suggestion of a Mexico HE seems suitable to you and that you are not tempted by any of the wild ramblings you have read above!

Tony

Thanks for the advice, I will be changing for a standard boiler, combi's are not reliable enough for me, [my daughter has had 4 combi's in two properties over about 8 years]

She should buy quality products and have them fitted properly.

and more expensive to run for a larger property

They are cheaper to run. A pumped shower? How much is that noisy, vibrating thing going to cost when it leaks and burns out in few years time?

It is best to modernise your system while you are at it, instead of nickel and diming it.

The best combis are reliable and very economical to run.

However, combis are not the solution to all heating requirements and a hot water storage cylinder has many advantages.

Only when you have more than two bathrooms, or having solar then thermal storage is the choice.

combis are not the solution to all heating requirements and a hot water storage cylinder has many advantages.

Only when you have more than two bathrooms, or having solar

Strange that - I had a combi and it was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I've not got solar and only have one bathroom - should I build a second so that reality can re-align itself?

Only when you have more than two bathrooms, or having solar

Strange that - I had a combi and it was about as much use as a chocolate teapot. I've not got solar and only have one bathroom - should I build a second so that reality can re-align itself?[/quote]

Credit where credits due mogget - BB is moving onto alternative energy sources, and has expanded his library of brochures to-whit ;) :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back