Looking for power cord switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a wall lamp in the kids room and the switch cord isn’t working (I confirmed that by replacing it with another cord).

I would like to replace the cord which is something like this one

Only the end of it is like in the image enclosed. I cannot find the exact one with the right end. Any ideas or will I need to construct it myself ?

Attachments

• D43BD483-52C0-49CC-991D-F6DC4C552C1E.jpeg
    D43BD483-52C0-49CC-991D-F6DC4C552C1E.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 56
Sponsored Links
That looks like an "extra-low-voltage" (less than 50V) DC connector. Does this light/lamp run from a "wall wart" power supply? Please post a picture of the complete power cord so we can give you more information.

Thanks.

I’ve attached a couple more pictures.

I bought this outside of the U.K. so the plug isn’t U.K. and I use an adapter but a U.K. one will be even better to replace this with.

Attachments

• 9AC3A52E-7E3E-4844-9B03-28D2E8B4FC4A.jpeg
    9AC3A52E-7E3E-4844-9B03-28D2E8B4FC4A.jpeg
    413.2 KB · Views: 56
  • FB9EE0B6-F7CF-4D7E-BE0A-72004BD3BA32.jpeg
    FB9EE0B6-F7CF-4D7E-BE0A-72004BD3BA32.jpeg
    374.6 KB · Views: 57
  • F1E21FFB-7FC5-47B1-8176-5997ADA68220.jpeg
    F1E21FFB-7FC5-47B1-8176-5997ADA68220.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 61
Maybe something like this:

But you will have to fit a switch to the cord, perhaps you can use the switch from the old one. Getting one in white may be difficult.

NB That cord you linked to in your first post must not be used as it is a 240v cord not a 12v power supply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but how do I fit a switch ?

The one I have seems bolted in, it doesn’t go out easily unless I break it.

Would something like this work on top ?

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
That looks like an "extra-low-voltage" (less than 50V) DC connector. Does this light/lamp run from a "wall wart" power supply?

Yes is a wall wart
1655692400058.png

Best option might be to buy a good quality UK "wall wart" then and join the existing cable from the lamp to the cable coming from the new wall wart,

Thank you but again the existing one won’t come off. So would it be ok to buy new wall wart then connect a switch extender to it like this one ?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you but again the existing one won’t come off. So would it be ok to buy new wall wart then connect a switch extender to it like this one ?

Something like that may be the simplest solution.
Although personally, I would prefer a non-ebay connector!:
For a start, this one gives the barrel size (5.5mm outside diameter, 2.1mm inner), and this has to match your existing barrel.

...and even with the correct size barrel, these type of connector sometimes have a tendency to slip out.

An alternative may be to buy a rewirable inline switch (DC rated), it won't slip out, but the coaxial cable from the PSU can be difficult to strip and rewire due to the thin conductors used.

Just to note, you are switching the lamp on and off at the load side. The power supply will still be on and drawing a small amount of current.

the switch cord isn’t working (I confirmed that by replacing it with another cord).

I think that you replaced both the cable and the 12 volt power module as from your pictures the cable appears to be permanently fixed to the power module. If that is the case then it is most likely that the power module ( wall wart ) has failed.

1655704835090.png

Thanks again :)

Yes that part comes out indeed with a single screw however I don’t have the right tools to replace it I’m afraid :-/

True but then I need to learn how to use them :)))

What should I buy ?

I bought my first soldering iron over 60 years ago to make my first radio constructional project. It's been upgraded several times over the years but hardly a week goes by without me using it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back