Looks can be deceiving, photo of my electric box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Photo of my electric box, far as I’m aware everything working as they should but to me it is a mess and can do with tidying up. Would it be possible to have those separate consumer units corporate into one large unit.

DSCN4713.JPG

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
probably, but NOT a diy job (best get several quotes)

hehe yeah I wont even attempt one let alone all those :eek: several quotes implies that it could get expensive? just reading between the lines :rolleyes:

Are there multiple phases there?, seems to look like it, is this a house?

Sponsored Links
It looks like a shop supply (possibly a cafe) to me. Bits added on over time by Tom, Dick and his mates.

Great pic!

It will look lovely when it's finished.

Might be worth mentioning when you get your quotes that you want DBs or CUs with room for RCBOs, even if you aren't having them fitted initially. This enables you to have individual circuits protected by their own RCD. Won't add much to the initial cost, but will make future upgrades a lot easier.

webbygeeza said:
Would it be possible to have those separate consumer units corporate into one large unit.

Yes - you have a three-phase installation and all of this will easily fit into a single neat distribution board

pdcelec said:
It looks like a shop supply (possibly a cafe) to me. Bits added on over time by Tom, Dick and his mates.
Or maybe Billy the Kid and his mates! :)

How can someone be so lazy as to add on another 4-way Earth block instead of swapping in an 8-way one to make a neater job?

Cheers,

Howard

The switch marked toilet light looks like a 30 amp to me must be some light ;) definatley not a diy job. Does look like you have three phases there. Is it a big house with storage heaters or a commercial premisis?

where in herts?

if your near id have a look but not this side of crimbo :rolleyes:

else ive got plenty of good contacts ;)

Adam_151 said:
Are there multiple phases there?, seems to look like it, is this a house?

Yes 3 phases supply there. No its a commercial premises I have recently taken over.

John D, sparky is coming round tomorrow I will certainly ask for those you mentioned for future upgrades. Thanks.

scary looking 3-core with masking tape in the bottom left corner. I hope that's not live.
me too I'll let you know after tomorrow once sparky's been round.

The switch marked toilet light looks like a 30 amp to me must be some light icon_wink.gif definatley not a diy job. Does look like you have three phases there. Is it a big house with storage heaters or a commercial premisis?
3 phase, commercial, strangly we'v found that it supplies another CU which in turn supplies toilets lights and sockets at the rear of the building

if i may, can i raise a few points / questions i have, about that picture.

1. Why have the tails been left so long, dangling about like that with no restraints anywhere?

2. why are the main fuses all different colours and different stickers?

3. shouldnt the smaller tails be fused down?

4. there appears to be no single point of isolation (actually on closer inspection, the tails do run do the isolator on the left i think, but, again, in mid-air)

5. are there 2 meters there?

supersparks said:
where in herts?

Hertfordshire is Jim Franklin's stamping ground, isn't it?

crafty1289 said:
if i may, can i raise a few points / questions i have, about that picture.

1. Why have the tails been left so long, dangling about like that with no restraints anywhere?

2. why are the main fuses all different colours and different stickers?

3. shouldnt the smaller tails be fused down?

4. there appears to be no single point of isolation (actually on closer inspection, the tails do run do the isolator on the left i think, but, again, in mid-air)

5. are there 2 meters there?

If you or anyone else know the answer to q's 1-4 then feel free enlighten me. As for the last question, those two are working in conjunction? normally take readings off of the black SIEMEN one to give to the power company.

ban-all-sheds said:
supersparks said:
where in herts?

Hertfordshire is Jim Franklin's stamping ground, isn't it?

yeh we were almost on eachothers doorstep, not for a fair while now though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back