Loop at switch, two gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am just needing someone to check the following diagram of a two gang switch with the loop / supply at the switch.
The reason I want to take the light wire off 'switch 2' is to save the amount of wires coming into 'switch 1' , which will be a 2 gang switch both two way, with supply arriving at there too. Will this work safely / okay to do? Apologies for the scruffy schematic...hopefully it makes sense somewhat.

Thanks in advance..

1000023678.jpg

Sponsored Links
Its a bit difficult to see whats going on/ understand what you need, I assume you have loop in and loop out to one switch, a couple of 3C&E to another switch, and want to take the feeds to the lights from the second switch?

If so, then Brown and Black (sleeve brown....) of the 3C&e into L1/L2 (for extra points transpose Brown/black on the far switches*) on all four switches to create two pairs of switches. At the end with the supply, put the lives into the commons with a link across them, Neutrals in a connetcor block with the greys (sleeved blue) of the three cores. At the far end, Switch live comes off the common, and join the outgoing neutral to the grey of the 3core (sleeve blue)

*You don't have to, but it means when all switches are in the traditional off position the light is off (its also off when they are both in the other position)

two-way-real.jpg
There is a permanent line wire to both switches, one can reduce cables by borrowing the permanent line one switch to another. But cane work out what should be line and what is neutral with your diagram.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I am just needing someone to check the following diagram of a two gang switch with the loop / supply at the switch.
The reason I want to take the light wire off 'switch 2' is to save the amount of wires coming into 'switch 1' , which will be a 2 gang switch both two way, with supply arriving at there too. Will this work safely / okay to do? Apologies for the scruffy schematic...hopefully it makes sense somewhat.

Thanks in advance..

View attachment 326708
To be quite honest; no it doesn't make sense and I'll go further and say I have no idea what you are contemplating. I can make no sense of it nor anything that can function in a useful way.

I see 2 cables at the top; are these live and neutral loop in and loop out to other lights or to just one light?

I see two 2 gang switches, may I assume you are trying to install two lights on two separate 2 way circuits?

I see two lights at the bottom; are these both required to be connected at that point?
Something like this?: ------------------------------------------------------------- and if so one solution
1703719616347.png
1703720615850.png

EDIT: Adam replied while I was drawing, his suggestion to use 2 neutrals (His grey) is a good idea, particularly if the two 3C&E take a different route between the switches to reduce the potential for interference.

Last edited:
Or the conversion method which is messier:
1703721983949.png
I've shown with old colours, can show/suggest new colours if preferred.

Thanks so much for speedy replies! I appreciate the diagram was a bit sketchy but, how you guys have explained this does make sense.

It was indeed two, two way switches, controlling two lights separately, with a supply to one switch and a feed to the lights off the other.
Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back