Loop in wiring advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am swapping this old strip light for a normal light fitting, but I believe this is a "loop in" wiring system which I'm not familiar with.

What do I do with the extra red and black wires? Keep them together like on the strip light?

DSC02720.jpg

DSC02718.jpg

Sponsored Links
if the two blacks were together in the old fitting and the two reds were together then in the new ceiling rose connect the two reds to the brown terminal and the two blacks to the blue terminal.
Do two lights come on at once ?
If it was connected one red, other red and one black togdther and the other black by itsele then you have to find out which black is the switch wire otherwise it'll go BANG !

I take it there is more than one light on this circuit? Are the blacks in the strip light the same as they always have been?
If you look at the new rose the terminals are connected together in a 2,3,3 formation, the live to the lamp is connected to the 2 and the neutral to the opposite end 3.
(If both blacks have always been connected together) I'd connect both blacks to the same block as the neutral and both red lives to the middle connector with a small piece of wire from the middle to the live end connector. All the earths with green/yellow sleeving go to the earth terminal.
If both blacks haven't always been connected together shout back.

Yes it activated two lights, the strip, and a small one on the stairs.

Both the blacks were together, and reds together. This is as it was originally, all I did is remove the wires, before I thought I'd better seek some advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes it activated two lights, the strip, and a small one on the stairs.

Both the blacks were together, and reds together. This is as it was originally, all I did is remove the wires, before I thought I'd better seek some advice.

No problems there then, keep both reds together and place in the terminals with / next to the brown wires and the two blacks together in the blue wired termimals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back