Light Switch Probs

KB1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a bit of a problem wiring a new light. I changed 2 light fittings which I believe are on a Loop. They both work, the problem is the Switch on the light which holds all the loops wires. It has 2 reds, 2 blacks a blue and a brown. I stupidly didn't make a note of what went where before I disconnected the old light. I put the 2 reds together, One Black, and one Brown with the light flex Brown & One black and the Blue with the Flex Blue. The light stays on constantly when I switch the power back on. I assume I have managed not to route/loop the live flow through the switch and I do not know what to do. I'm not sure which Black is the Switch Black as it wasn't marked. If there is anyone who I could help I would be very greatful!!!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there's been flex used somewhere for the fixed wiring of the lighting for some reason. If it's ordinary 3 plate wiring (feed in, switch drop, loop out), then those will be your 3 cables. If the lights work together from the same switch (or supposed to!), then you may have got the end of line fitting with a switch-live and neutral feed on to the next fitting(feed in, switch drop, switch-live+neutral feed out). Are they supposed to work together from the same switch or independantly from different switches? What colour are the cables at the switch? Have you got a test meter? What effect have your connections had on the lights in the rest of the house?

The lights are on different Switches. The first switch does not work for the first light. The second switch works fine, when it is on the first Switch is then able to turn on and off the second light!!! but not the first light. I haven't actually opened the switch so not sure what wires feed in there. I haven't got a test meter but I guess I will need something to tell me which Black is the Switch live. This had no effect on any other lights in the house. I think only these 2 are looped together.

It's a little bit hard to make out, but see how this sounds...the feed comes in on the brown (and neutral on the blue), connects in with the brown flex for the lamp and another black. I would say that this black is the switch-line back up from the switch. This means that the switch is supplied down the black core and when you turn the switch on, it travels back up the red and connects with the other red cable in the ceiling rose. This other red cable then goes on to the next light. I think all of the neutrals are connected ok (blue cable is neutral in and black is neutral on to the next fitting). If this is the case, the switches will probably work like this...the second light will only work when the first switch is on. If this is the case, it should be solved by placing the brown cable in with the other two red cables. The worst that can happen is it'll trip, but it would be much easier to give you a more definate answer if you a) had a tester and b) knew which cables you had at the other rose and both of the switches.

Sponsored Links
That makes sense, thanks, I will try that out when I get home this evening.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back