Loop question

I'd also bet the two valves are wired in parallel, for lower flow resistance, it's common.
Only problem comes when one of them fails - you tend not to notice!

Sponsored Links
Vent on the return? :eek:
What size is the boiler?

Hi Norcon

I will try and find out boiler size today and the model number, it's my mates so need to contact him ;)

I can tell you it's about the size of a washing machine and bl**dy heavy :oops:

Sponsored Links
The valves may be paddle type. Hence high resistance.
Rotary shoe types have nearly half the resistance.
Wouldn't the circulator have been cavitating with a single paddle type valve fitted on the return?

Just found out the boiler going in is a Grant Multi pass 140

"Wouldn't the circulator have been cavitating with a single paddle type valve fitted on the return?"

Haven't go the foggiest :confused: :oops:

140kw. :eek:
Wouldn't like to be carrying oil to that thing.
So we can assume the old one is similar or even larger and going out to a single heating circuit via the twin ZV set up?

Have any heat loss calculations been carried out?
Any upgrades in the property insulation (ie, double glazing,loft insulation etc) since the last boiler installation?

Putting aside the loop and what looks like a serious flaw with the vent pipe I would say the pipe work is grossly undersized. (Depending of course on the actual heat load)
Sounds like your mate is trying to do this on the cheap.
Why is he changing the boiler incidentally?

He's not intentionally doing it on the cheap [what he's spent up to now adds up to more than cheap], not a lot of choice really.

It's a big old house that's had a new roof [wasn't cheap, 50,000 Kent pegs], insulation throughout the loft space and a lot warmer than it used to be.

The old boiler rusted through and leaked so he purchased as close as boiler to the original and although narrower has a better output, the previous heating system worked that's all we can say. Being a big old house [5 consumer units and 3 phase :eek:] it has seen many changes with extra rads added here and there, if he could afford to rip it all out and start again I'm guessing he would as his heating oil bill is high. We're just trying to do the best with what's there really :oops:

Right so we should copy the same set up with the two valves running parallel?

If the bronze pump running from the hot water tank is actually on a loop we should keep it? Mate says it takes ages for hot water to come through at bathroom taps and believes it isn't a loop :confused:

We've ordered a new tank and will be re-using things like valves and pumps etc, is it better that we just do like for like but in what will be the new boiler room?

The idea of this post was really to understand what was happening with his original plumbing, was it correct and can it be improved on [reasonably] as we're moving it all

All advice taken on board and already learnt why those two valves are there like they are ;)

Cheers all

Brian

P.S. yep it's a single heating circuit ;)

FFS A grant Multipass 90/140 is rated between 90,000Btu and 140,000Btu
Those of us old enough will remember British Thermal Units per Hour simply divide by 3412 to find the equivelent in Kw/h !!
What is the world coming too! :rolleyes:

Currently the Feed & Vent are close coupled in the flow before the pump, the feed is nearest the pump so looks Text book to me 35mm pipe should be more than adequate for a 32Kw system!! there's a lot of carp being posted on this thread!! :eek:

Currently the Feed & Vent are close coupled in the flow before the pump, the feed is nearest the pump so looks Text book to me 35mm pipe should be more than adequate for a 32Kw system!! there's a lot of carp being posted on this thread!! :eek:

Thanks Boilerman, if we know what we have is near enough we'll just replicate it the other side of the wall ;)

Can't see a problem personally if it currently works it should continue to do so!! by the way the 90/140 Boiler weighs in at 149Kg! so carefull lifting!

To many mountains being made out of a mole hill here!!! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back