Loose bricks above window frame?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking for some advise...while decorating plaster has come away from the concrete internal lintal above a upvc window. It has revealed that there is on row of bricks just sitting along the top of the window frame.. I was going to replace the plaster with plasterboard push under the bricks to support and then skim over. But my question is do the bricks need to be there? As far as I can see there not doing anything and are not visible from the out side as the top of the frame meets the soffit...hopefully the pics I have added will explain more. Thanks

Attachments

• 20200825_222117.jpg
    20200825_222117.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200825_222107.jpg
    20200825_222107.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 20200825_222053.jpg
    20200825_222053.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20200825_222236.jpg
    20200825_222236.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 335
Sponsored Links
I've seen that before on jobs. It's because originally one course of brickwork was put on top of a timber window to meet the concrete lintel for the plaster. When the frames are replaced the brickwork drops and the window fitters just rest them back on top of the frame and make good to the lintel.
You can just take them away and board across as you suggested.

I've seen that before on jobs. It's because originally one course of brickwork was put on top of a timber window to meet the concrete lintel for the plaster. When the frames are replaced the brickwork drops and the window fitters just rest them back on top of the frame and make good to the lintel.
You can just take them away and board across as you suggested.

Thankyou

Sponsored Links
Worrh stuffing some insulation in there while you're at it, rockwool will do.

So replace bricks with a little insulation...what about expanding foam i could squirt along the top of the window frame once the bricks are out the way?

Cheers

You can use The Devil's Gap Filler if you want (and it'll give a bit of bracing to the top of the frame) but (as you know or will find out) its horrible messy stuff, specially if that gap is near the ceiling.

Blimy oldbut.......... I imagine an Hieronymus Bosch painting with Old Nick and a tube of foam :evil:

I blame window fitters, especially the ones who reckon foam is a good replacement for a full brick that was a bit proud.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back