Loose bricks directly above external kitchen window - 2 rows

Sponsored Links
Helical bars wont be any good to form a lintel, as the bars need to go further up.

Plastic frames are the worse type to have brickwork resting on - they move and distort too much

Dont take a brick out.

Currently they are self supporting a little bit under compression via the mortar joints. If you remove a brick the course will drop more. Plus any banging will loosen all the others too

Look between the frame and the bottom row of bricks and remove a bit of that mastic if you have to

Ok, Woody - won't remove brick...will attempt at some point today to remove the mastic and report back, thanks all so far...

I had exactly the same situation on dining and kitchen windows. I have now done dining. apparently the old steel windows originally fitted would of be holding up the bricks. and now the upvc window is not as strong. I bought a lintel and removed the bricks a few other fell out then fitted the lintel and re fitted the bricks in the spaces.

Sponsored Links
Apologies for all who posted - took me a while to get round to this...

Have removed one brick...and voila!

Help... :cry:

Woody - I know you said not too - but I looked closely and knew i could remove one without disruption(or further disruption) to the others...

Me thinks shove it back, no one will notice...; /

Helical bars wont be any good in your situation, as previously said they need to go further up.
You need to get the weight of the head of window, couple of acros and strong boys, fitted 3 course up, then remove all brickwork below, extend 150mm either end and fit lintol, replace bricks, packing the last course in tight.
Leave props in for a day or two.
Inside wall looks like a cast concrete boot lintol, so should be okay.

Boot lintels usually had a DPC tray fitted over them, but it looks like the window fitters ripped some off, and it looks in one photo like they folded it up behind the brickwork.

Erm, thank you for that info...Cotswoldbuilders...

I've bought a lintel - took out two rows - not used acros tho ...

The lintel exceeds 100mm either side.. :( (each approx 120mm) - I hope it'll be ok...will post up WIP photos later tonight...

God, what have i done!

Whats a DPC stuart? scuse my ignorance.. :( (damp proof?something?)

The window fitters - and im no expert so not qualified - but they did a fast n furious job it seems - windows were in before we bought...but several frames were loose and I've had to cut into the plaster and fill or redrill to ensure they were sturdy...doesn't help i guess having a cowboy diy'r like me...Post up the pics later of my progress(waiting for cotswold builder to tell me off for not using acros - but its deserved)

Whats a DPC stuart? scuse my ignorance.. :( (damp proof?something?)

)
Damp proof course. It usually is bedded into the inside skin above the lintel and comes down and over the frame. It stops any damp coming into the top of the frame. Boot lintels sometimes had bitumen trays instead of felt.

Stuart45 - the your right, its been pushed up and out of the way...thanks for your reply btw...

Not sure what to do about that now....heres where im at...(waiting for the shreeks)

Gulp...

That lintel does make a tray of a kind. Any rain that gets through the brickwork runs down the inside of the brickwork. Where the cavity is bridged at a frame the tray stops it going onto the head of the frame and coming inside. You might be able to pull the old tray down and over the new lintel for exra protection.

You could try, putting a bead of clear silicone as high up as possible, then fit a length of 225mm dpc along the wall, lapped down over the lintol and to outer brickwork edge.
Leave a few weep holes in the perps, on first course over lintol.

Good idea cotswold, as the old tray has had it's day. I don't know why I told him to re-use it.
I get the feeling that he might be outside bricking it in now through, instead of reading your post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back