Loose flags & repointing/ jointing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a large area of Indian sandstone laid a couple of years back. It was jointed with one of the synthetic jointing compounds. In places it's come loose as I suspects it either wasn't deep enough or was just brushed in without being compacted. So I've started removing it with a view to repointing. With the joints removed I expected the flags to be stuck rigid to the mortar bed, but they can be lifted. Is this correct? Around 10% will need rebedding as they were wobbly beforehand, but the majority were rigid until the joints were removed. Will they be ok once repointed? Would it be wrong to lift them and add a little all weather no-nails type adhesive?

Sponsored Links
Probably Sika jointing compound, terrible stuff, washes away , shrinks and crumbles despite what the manufacturers claim.
Any loose slabs will need relaying on mortar mix.

They are loose, but don't wobble. It would be he'll of a job to re-lay everything when they were ok before the joints were removed. The bedding looks sound underneath, nice and flat and still in one piece. It's just not bonded to the flags.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back