Loose Floorboard - Screw/nail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a problem of a loose floorboard that was cut by a tradesman years ago. The length of it is about 35 inches long. I've had a look underneath. Each end of the loose floorboard is resting on two joists. The width of the joists appears to be only about 1cm wide so there doesn't seem to be much room to screw or nail the floor board down.

What would be the best option for this?

Would Screw Tite screws be suitable? Or is it better to use nails as they might be narrower than screws, but might be more prone to split the wood?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice.

At the moment, its not convenient to post a photo because there is furniture in the way and I have to move the carpet, etc..

I can post a photo this weekend though, so will then.

Sponsored Links
I've added the photos.

The width of the joists the floor board is resting on is wider than I remembered it to be.

On one side its 2.5cm wide. The other side is 1.5cm wide.

Attachments

• floor brd 1.jpg
    floor brd 1.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 93
  • floor brd 2.jpg
    floor brd 2.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 85
  • floor brd 3.jpg
    floor brd 3.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 96
Screws - 2 into each joist, no more than a quarter of the floorboard width from each edge. On the middle joist be careful not screw through the electric cable.

I'm thinking of using Screw Tite screws. However, the Black and Decker drill I have is rather old, its from about 2001 so I'm not sure if the battery will charge anymore as its years since I last used it.

Can these type of screws be fitted using an electric screwdriver or is an electric drill required?

I don't have an electric screwdriver so I'm wondering which one to choose from that or an electric drill.

How far down into the floorboard should the pilot hole be made? I've read a few guides about pilot holes, but they didn't mention this.

Also, is it best to use a countersunk screw? Would a non countersunk screw make the surface of the floorboard not flush enough or should it suffice?

Make pilots holes before screwing, so you don't split the edge of the floorboard.

I would recommend making "clearance" holes rather then pilot holes. By that I mean a hole in the skirting board that is larger than the diameter of the screw.

How far down into the floorboard should the pilot hole be made? I've read a few guides about pilot holes, but they didn't mention this.

Also, is it best to use a countersunk screw? Would a non countersunk screw make the surface of the floorboard not flush enough or should it suffice?

The hole should be a clearance hole. By that, I mean that the screw should pass through the floorboard. Ideally, you would use a countersink to enable the head of the screw to become flush but it the wood is pretty soft, it will probably bury itself without issue.

It is the screw head that pulls things together. When screwing, if you don't allow clearance for the screw, you risk pushing both bit of timber apart as you tighten the screw.

The pilot hole is the hole in the timber underneath. In your case it would be a hole that reduces the risk of slitting the floor joist.

If, for example, you were screwing a 4mm screw through a floorboard in to the joists- You would drill a 3mm hole through the floorboard in to the joist, and then, ideally drill a 4mm hole in the floorboard, and possibly countersink the hole as well.

The hole should be a clearance hole. By that, I mean that the screw should pass through the floorboard. Ideally, you would use a countersink to enable the head of the screw to become flush but it the wood is pretty soft, it will probably bury itself without issue.

It is the screw head that pulls things together. When screwing, if you don't allow clearance for the screw, you risk pushing both bit of timber apart as you tighten the screw.

The pilot hole is the hole in the timber underneath. In your case it would be a hole that reduces the risk of slitting the floor joist.

If, for example, you were screwing a 4mm screw through a floorboard in to the joists- You would drill a 3mm hole through the floorboard in to the joist, and then, ideally drill a 4mm hole in the floorboard, and possibly countersink the hole as well.
It's a loose floorboard, not the frame for a Picasso...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back