loose holes in door - lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a garage door which has the following lock mechanism. The carpenter had to use very small screws as there is a lock mechanism behind this handle. I suspect the wrong lock has been used but we are where we are...

The screws have come loose. I tried packing it with matchsticks and then re-tightening but it didn't last. Any tips please?

Attachments

• 20180925_063057210_iOS.jpg
    20180925_063057210_iOS.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20180925_063054046_iOS.jpg
    20180925_063054046_iOS.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 124
Sponsored Links
The screws in the handle or the actual lock unit? If it’s the unit you have about 75mm before the screw touches anything and at least 40mm on the handle if it’s a fire door.

On some like that they come with screws and bolts so you could bolt it through to the opposite handle and they pull towards each other.

The screws do not go into the lock. They are going through the small bit of wood and hence quite small screws. The holes have loosened and I feel that I need to tighten/pack these for the screws to grip again.

I see it's a Union 5-lever BS Sashlock.

Something like this
https://www.uniononline.co.uk/en/si...nge/5-lever/2234---5-lever-mortice-sash-lock/

Resourse.aspx

Observe there is a notch in the case alongside the handle, and a hole to the other side. These are designed for bolt-through fixings.

The special screws and sleeve-nuts made for the job look like this

s-l300.jpg

they may be listed as door-handle screws or connecting screws.

the holes are sized to fit common handles with 2 screws.

This door handle, for example, mentions that it has a bolt-through fixing
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...lever-door-handle-on-rose-satin-chrome-634428
I can't see the screws listed separately on that website, but they are on ebay.

It's a neat fixing. In larger sizes, sleeve nuts add strength to reinforcing plates on doors or gates.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. Would wood glue suffice? Seems like the easiest option.

The correct lock has been used, wrong handle type (n)

Thats the disadvantage of using a lever on a rose instead of a lever on a backplate when fitted on a sashlock.

lever on rose is fine when used with a tubular latch -no metal in the way.

on a 44mm door you only have 13mm of wood to screw into....that might be chipboard

sometimes I csk the hole more and put in a bigger screw, say 3.5mm or 4mm cut down to the short length.

or glue in a plug of some sort to grip in the hole. matchstick, plastic plug or insert.

is it a hollow door?

has the lock been placed in the lock block? (look on the top of the door)

lever on rose is fine when used with a tubular latch -no metal in the way.

on a 44mm door you only have 13mm of wood to screw into....that might be chipboard

Oh yeah, i never thought of the big metal lump in the way!!

Thanks guys. Would wood glue suffice? Seems like the easiest option.

Yes, but TBH, those screws get a lot of force and may still work loose if the door core is crap, and it may be better long term to replace with the sleeved bolts and latch if need be as per JD's post.

See how you go with the wood glue first.

As said above the screws may be too long so hitting the lock and chewing out. Drill the holes out and tap wood (ready made dowels are good) in with glue let it set up, drill a pilot hole and check the screw is not too long, worth starting a longer screw then nipping the tip off to length that gives a bit more good thread because you have cut off the taper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back