UPVC Door Locking Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is something I haven't seen before.
My daughter has just moved in to her house and wanted a new lock fitted to the front door. I had to drill the lock out before I was able to replace it with a new one because I could not see the head of the lock fixing screw. I fitted the new lock and retaining screw but could not lock the door because I could not lift the handles to engage the rollers. I then took the main full height locking bar out and found the hole in the sliding bar where the euro lock screw goes through is not slotted so when the handle is lifted this screw is stopping the mechanism from working. Is there a different method of fixing euro locks in place on some doors.

Thanks in advance Ade

Sponsored Links
I reckon that someone at some stage has replaced the locking mechanism and either didn't fit the correct one or fitted it wrong and cut off the slotted bit by mistake and made do without a lock retaining screw.
I would either make do if money is tight or get a Yale doormaster mechanism off the net and fit it yourself, they are designed to retro fit on most doors and are often used by locksmiths to upgrade a faulty lock on a older door where the mechanism is unnamed but the lock sizes are standard.

The lock should still be operational without the retaining screw but it's not ideal so better to replace if you can.

Good luck
Mike

If the head of the retaining screw wasn't there when you drilled it out then it means it was a grub screw and you could of used a 3mm Allen key to remove it, the type of mechanism you have requires the screw to be sunk deeper otherwise it jams the sliding bit and the handle won't move.

I suggest cutting the head off the screw that came with the new lock and then cutting a slot across the top and use a small flat screwdriver and screw it right in below the surface and it should now work

Sponsored Links
I agree with Crank, the retaining screw would have been an allen key type. your lucky , I had the neighbours father do this , he thought the screw had gone , he made a right mess of it, took a while to get the old barrel out after that. you cvan get replacement grub screws on ebay, but cranks idea is much quicker!
These types of lock are on the older style of upvc doors and are surprisingly common!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back