Loose light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a loose light switch plate. I am unable to tighten the screws because the thread is worn on the metal box which is embedded into the wall. I am unable to replace the metal box as it has been tiled over.

Any ideas what I can do here?

Happy to supply photo if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Just a follow up to this. The metal box is one of those old types with the thread being a piece of plastic that is wedged into the metal box. On one side it's completely broken so I can't even re-thread it. Do you know where I could but the replacement plastic threaded bits to slot in or what their proper name is?

I've attached a photo so you can see what I mean.

Sponsored Links
The problem I've got is that I can't get a new back box in because the tiles have boxed it in.

Roll up a small piece of paper and put in the screw hole but make sure the screw goes down the middle.

Might do for a while.

That's an old MK back box by the looks of it, think it's going to have to come out I'm afraid. Have you got any spare tiles?

Drill through where the screws are supposed to go with a 3mm drill bit right through the back of the box

remove the plastic bits

tap the 3mm holes with an M3.5 tap

screw in a screw extender
MK3710.JPG

Screw the plate screws into them

done.

By the way you have no earth to that switch, so you must NOT fit a metal switch plate there.

Thanks, I'll give that a go. Don't worry, no metal switch.
The box is metal, and when you fix the plastic switch to the new metal inserts, the metal screws will be electrically connected to the metal backbox.
A fault could then make the fixing screws live.
This can be solved by using plastic screws.

The lack of a cpc (earth) and the wires being red white and blue also means it should have been rewired a couple of decades ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back