Loose paving slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got one totally loose slab. Is this a danger? Best to wack some cement underneath? The others seem not to rock but is there anything that can be done to strengthen them too
20220105_110120.jpg
20220105_105619(0).jpg

Sponsored Links
If the base underneath is mortar, grind off an inch or so, clean all the dust and stick that slab back on with mortar.

Not sure it will stick to mortar alone, personally I'd recommend removing any loose material, then getting a bottle of SBR and some cement and mixing to form a thick paste, then pour some in the hole and paint some on the slab back, then push it back in place.
Tips are don't walk on it or allow it to get frosted for a few days, also don't spill or drip it anywhere as it will stain, wash it off straight away.
You may be able to get a small amount of proprietary paving bonding that's ready mixed, to save buying in bulk as the qualities i bought in would cost you 30 quid and you'd waste most of it.
Good luck.

Not sure it will stick to mortar alone, personally I'd recommend removing any loose material, then getting a bottle of SBR and some cement and mixing to form a thick paste, then pour some in the hole and paint some on the slab back, then push it back in place.
Tips are don't walk on it or allow it to get frosted for a few days, also don't spill or drip it anywhere as it will stain, wash it off straight away.
You may be able to get a small amount of proprietary paving bonding that's ready mixed, to save buying in bulk as the qualities i bought in would cost you 30 quid and you'd waste most of it.
Good luck.

I found 15L of sbr but would this do?

This and small bag of pre mixed mortar?

https://www.toolstation.com/everbuild-201-mortar-plasticising-admix/p60707

Sponsored Links
Grout has gone does that affect whether slabs rock r just aesthetics? and that one loose slab i guess isn't a trip hazard where it is
Thxs for link

Grout has gone does that affect whether slabs rock r just aesthetics? and that one loose slab i guess isn't a trip hazard where it is
Thxs for link
For flexible paving the slabs butt up against each other, but for slabs that are stuck down you would leave 10mm and point(not grout) the gaps. The pointing is important to stop the slabs going for a walk.
In your case I'm not honestly sure if they're designed to be pointed, i guess not but maybe someone else can chip in.
Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back