Loose piler brick work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just cut a doorway from my bedroom to my old bathroom for an on-suite.
The side nearest the window i couldn't cut all the way down ,so i had to drill and bolster the bottom half,which has made the brick work slightly loose.I thought they were tied into the main wall but obviously not. My concern is when i fit the door liner and hang the door the brick work wont hold and crack the plaster
The brick will have to be rendered which will give ita little support but i also thought about

1)knock out loose brickwork and re-lay
2)Screw some 90' degree straps to the main wall and loose blocks

Sponsored Links
Are you saying these bricks are not tied into the wall i.e. just butt jointed?...pinenot :)

If the bottom ones are loose, just knock them out. The upper bricks/blocks will stay in as they appear to be bonded. Just fill the lower gap with timber screwed to the wall. The upper bricks/blocks won't fall down.
No point in trying to fix wonky bricks with straps.

Are you saying these bricks are not tied into the wall i.e. just butt jointed?...pinenot :)

No i dont think they are tied .It looks like they built the cavity walls and then the internal walls after as they are built on the floorboards upstairs.

Sponsored Links
If the bottom ones are loose, just knock them out. The upper bricks/blocks will stay in as they appear to be bonded. Just fill the lower gap with timber screwed to the wall. The upper bricks/blocks won't fall down.
No point in trying to fix wonky bricks with straps.

That seems the easyest option

Always good when people show the outcome!
btw, those walls look very thick, and are the blocks in the partition different from those in the main wall below the window?

Always good when people show the outcome!
btw, those walls look very thick, and are the blocks in the partition different from those in the main wall below the window?

Main/cavity wall = 4" blocks
Internal walls 3" blocks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back