Loose stair rail bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a bit of novice so apologies if I use the wrong terminology!

I noticed the other day that the bottom bracket on the stair rail was loose. I unscrewed it and under the bracket a thick 1.5cm wedge of plaster was all broken and split. I removed all the loose plaster and it's taken it down to the breeze blocks on the house (see pic).

IMG_4239.jpg

I obviously want this fixing so what would be the best material to use to fill the holes back in, make it level again and reattach the bracket. I suspect filler would be too weak?

Thanks

Phil

Sponsored Links
Breeze is not very strong for fixing in I would cut some wood plugs or dowels that are a tight fit then tap them in with a splodge of no nails.
Either use a round bit of timber or plasterboard as a spacer then skim with filler and drill through to the plug level and screw into the plugs.
You might be able to cut a circle of something with the cutter you used to clean up the hole.

Breeze is not very strong for fixing in I would cut some wood plugs or dowels that are a tight fit then tap them in with a splodge of no nails.
Either use a round bit of timber or plasterboard as a spacer then skim with filler and drill through to the plug level and screw into the plugs.
You might be able to cut a circle of something with the cutter you used to clean up the hole.

Great thanks, I’ll get some dowels, no more nails and filler tomorrow then. I have managed to cut a spacer with a holesaw from an old piece of plywood I have and it’s fairly level now. Hopefully it will be nice and secure once done

Sponsored Links
Great thanks, I’ll get some dowels, no more nails and filler tomorrow then. I have managed to cut a spacer with a holesaw from an old piece of plywood I have and it’s fairly level now. Hopefully it will be nice and secure once done
If it’s thermalite dowels will pull out .

You need the wall plugs I linked too.
My only concern is that the holes are now bigger than they originally were so they would need filling in order for the plugs to fit properly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back