Loosening a seized stopcock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

What are the best methods for me to try and see if I can free / loosen a seized stopcock on a cold water pipe?

Would regular spraying of WD40 do the trick? Would blowing a hairdryer or something help?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Found this?

"Yes it can b fixed. it could possably be the stuffing box which is the little nut behind the stop tap head is too tight.loosen it off a little and this should allow u too move the stop cock more easily. but b carefull not too loosen it too much as this will cause it to weep.hope this solves your problem"

Is it siezed on or off? Just make sure you can get to the outside stopcock so you can turn off the mains if the internal one goes. Loads of WD and leave it half an hour then get an adjustable/mole grips onto the tap head and smoothly persuade it, if it doesn't go or it snaps then replace.
If you have external tap access then just replace it £5-£10, is it worth the effort try to free the old one?

Loosen stuffing gland and work crutch head back and forth....normally seize due the previous clown not cracking valve back 1/4 turn.

If a lead to lead stop cock then allow more than £10...:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Not sure if it makes a difference to the approach or method, but I should clarify that it's a stop (gate?) valve I'm trying to loosen.

It's a red handle.

Seized gate valves are usually beyond repair. Expect to replace the whole thing, preferably with another type of valve.

Ah ok, if it's a gate valve then as flameport suggests it's usually a replacement. Is it from a cold water cistern and no lead involved?

If so then, tie up or isolate the cold water inlet to the cistern and empty the tank, or get a bung and bung the outlet feeding the pipe with the valve on it and replace. Better off with a quarter turn full bore ball valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back