Lopsided Venetian Blind!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
Hope you're well in these strange times.

Wondering if anyone can help me with this issue please. I had these blinds installed 2 years ago, but for some reason now one of the cords won't catch in the gear/cog at the top to keep the blind up.
It's the right hand side cord control that bows out when I pull them across to lock in place.

Any ideas what's causing this please? is it just lack of friction or an issue with the mechanism at the top?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Gem

Attachments

• IMG_8186.jpg
    IMG_8186.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 177
Sponsored Links
User error , you align the bottom via the cords which should be secured together to keep alignment and pull to right to raise, pull to left to release. Blinds should always be level when raising or lowering or you will have problems .

Thank you..I'm aware of how you use them.. I do that and am pulling them correctly.
The photo is just to show the way the cord is loose
It's when you pull to the right to raise and then secure that the issue comes.
They are secured inside the plastic casing to keep the lengths level.

Need a photo of mechanism, sometimes if blinds are large and heavy they can rip mechanism up into the header especially if allowed to drop unchecked.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes they are quite heavy actually.. it's the cord at the top/front here in the photo that controls the right hand side of the blind that doesn't hold.
It's hard to photo.. but it looks like a little gear/cog inside that should grip it.
IMG_8199.jpg
IMG_8198.jpg
IMG_8197.jpg

When you try to lock it in place hold the cords as high as possible to the horizontal. I had this problem many years ago and holding the cords as high as possible seemed to work most of the time. Afraid the mechanism is damaged and requires patience to try and straighten the small shaft inside. I gave up after a while and went for vertical blinds instead. Much easier to use and more modern. A lot easier to clean than venetians as well, simply unhook, remove weights and put in washing machine at 30C followed by a gentle tumble dry and remove whilst still warm and re-hang or lay flat.

Thanks Conny, yeah I tried that too, but I think you're both right the mechanism is broken as I noticed the little gold gear/cog thing falls forward and is loose. They are guaranteed for 5 years so have emailed who I bought them from hoping they can send a new cord lock. Though that'll be fun to fix! It's a quite heavy large blind but it should be designed to take the weight!
Only had them 2 years so not in the position to replace.. I hear you on the cleaning! I changed my kitchen and bathroom to roller blinds for exactly that reason!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back