Loss of Amenity?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just spoken to my architect about my planning permission progress, apparently the neighbours have complained due to loss of amenity and the planning department appear to be "on side" with them. I plan to build a single story garage with a room above 1 meter from our boundary and they have a conservatory the other side of the fence... I can only assume the amenity that they will lose is light.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I entitled to ask which amenity they will lose? Does it have any bearing on reality... e.g. could I get a light meter to prove/disprove their argument?

Also if at all relevant, the deeds have a "no right to light" clause.

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If anything, it should be the impact on the door or window of the main house inside the conservatory which counts, and not the conservatory itself. The local policy will state the criteria.

Your architect should have been aware of this and either design accordingly or submit a Design Statement to justify it.

And its not about a light meter. Its about having a big wall or roof towering over them and how that would be perceived.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back