loss of power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello My car is a saab 93 2.2tdi 2002
I have started losing acceleration power and the engine light has come on. it wasnt long after i had put some diesel in. i have nearly used up that diesel so i have now put in half a tank thinking it might be a bad batch, if there is such a thing. since then i have noticed black smoke blowing out but not sure wether this was happening before as i hadnt noticed. any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You ought to be able to get the diagnostic trouble codes read for the car. There is a chance your local garage may be able to do it however as it is a pre 2005 diesel they may not be able to meaning you need to visit a Saab garage.

Just a couple of possibilities:
The EGR valve needs cleaning out
A turbo pipe has come adrift or split......both common enough on these engines.
John :)

Just a couple of possibilities:
The EGR valve needs cleaning out
A turbo pipe has come adrift or split......both common enough on these engines.
turbo pipe
i checked the pipe and it DID have a split in it, i put a new one on and also cleaned the egr valve while i was at it. works great and no black smoke, but the engine light is still on. will this go off eventually or does it need resetting in some way.

Sponsored Links
Using suitable and basic diagnostic gear, the lamp can be turned off easily....the fault code is read and then cleared - job done. There's no need for a dealer visit but do say that your car is a 2002 model - if it was slightly younger (2004 for diesels) then they are all OBD compatible.
The lamp may go out by itself, and sometimes disconnecting the battery for a while has the same effect - you'll need the radio code though!

Back