Loss of shower pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
Since I had some work done I've lost pressure in my shower.

I have a downstairs bathroom and ran a shower off of a mixer tap. Being on the ground floor I had good cold water pressure from the tank in the loft.
Mixing in the hot from the hot water tank (also on the ground floor) I got a reasonable head of pressure in the shower at a reasonable temperature.

Recently, I had a plumber (a mate) add inline valves to the supply so that as I decorated the bathroom I could isolate the taps as I moved the sink and bath around to plaster and decorate behind them.
He also added a 15mm spur off the pipe work as I was undecided as to where the sink would end up after the redesign

Now I find I have a much reduced pressure to the shower and taps.

Could it be because he reduced the pipe work from 22mm to 15mm to incorporate the valves?

I have 15mm flexible hose connecting the new mixer tap/shower to the old pipe work. I wondered if the hoses absorb the pressure as they flex but I also get reduced pressure from the new 15mm spurs.

I have checked and I believe that all valves in the system are fully open.

What can I do/test to solve this problem?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
So the reduction in size will lower the pressure?
So all I need to do is make sure the pipe work is 22mm all the way?

I've found the formula for water resistance here and going from 22mm to 15mm reduces the water flow to a fifth of the original!!

I'll make the changes

Sponsored Links
Hi Seco,
I've replaced the pipe work with 22mm and the flow has gone up considerably.
It is still not quite as it was.

I used to have a mixer tap with 2 valves and 2 handles.
When I turned them both on the subsequent water flow was all of the cold water flow plus all of the hot water flow.

Am I right in thinking that with my newer single lever mixer tap the water flow is constrained to either all cold, all hot or 50% of each at the central position? (and any other % combination).
My hot and cold pressures are approximately equal.

Rich,

One more thing you may want to check, is if your tap/mixer is suitable for low pressure systems like yours.

Most modern 1/4 turn taps are only designed for high pressure systems like combis.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back