Lost power to some lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to my brothers today to try and help with his lighting problem.The light in his hall which is on its own switch and and his up stairs landing light which is 2 way switched from hall and landing have stoped working, all other lights work fine.I first isolated at main cu breaker and checked connections at ceiling roses and switches and then energised circuits end tested at roses with fluke voltage tester.At hall rose:- 0 volts live- neutral and earth but 50 volts neutral- earth.I turned off lighting M.C.B.s but still got 50 volts as befor,I then turned off other M.C.B.s and lost the 50 volts when I turned of the B32 downstairs ring breaker.I also checked other downstairs working light roses for good connections.Please does anyone have any suggestions befor I resort to calling in a qualified electrician.By the way the house is about 20 years old and no nails or screws driven into walls in the recent past.Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
that 50V is just a stray voltage.. probably picked up because the cables run through the same holes..

it could also indicate that those lights have a feed from the downstairs ring, maybe via a FCU somewhere? if the fuse has gone in this then it would go some way to explaining why you've lost those lights.

unfortunately without being there it's hard to diagnose from a description..

where in the WM are you? maybe I could pop round and have a gander..

You may have just lost power in to the hall rose. Have there been any luminare changes in the not too distant past?

Check all loop connections to all downstairs lights, you may find a loose connection in the light preceding the hall fitting. Often the hall light live feed loops across to the landing switch downstairs, so that may explain why the landing light is also inop.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your speedy reply guys could not reply earlier, internet down.Found the problem Sunday morning, a broken live at a previously checked ceiling rose,screw tight but wire broken.Special thanks to coljack for your kind offer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back