Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps, Hope you can help/advise?
I have been running Windows 98SE on my computer for the past 5 years,
I have two office programs, Lotus SmartSuite and MS Office 2000,
I only use MS Word for my documents and files etc,
And use Lotus Approach for all my databases,
Lotus is not compatible with MS Office, and visa versa, as far as I know
So I am thinking of using just one of them, but which one?
At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice, but I don’t want to end up using Betamax when VHS is the more common one to use,
I recently seen a database done on Access on Office XP and I thought it closely rivalled Lotus Approach,
I did try to load Office XP onto my computer some time back but Windows 98SE would not have it, I needed Windows XP
Tried to load Windows XP and it said that none of my peripherals where compatible, they all required driver updates,
My wife was doing her HNC Business course at college at the time and was using my computer for many hours of homework and assignments etc so it was impractible for me to go changing computer OS systems and programs,
Is there any way of installing Microsoft office XP with Windows 98SE
And is it worth it to change my Lotus Approach databases containing thousands of records to Microsoft Office XP Access,

Sponsored Links
for what its worth, i have win xp pro, what did i install as well? office, NOT office xp, works fine

paulh53 said:
Is there any way of installing Microsoft office XP with Windows 98SE

Office XP IS compatible with Windows 98, but it does have a set of minimum requirements. See here. You may simply need to upgrade your machine. Post the spec. and i'll give you my opinion.

paulh53 said:
is it worth it to change my Lotus Approach databases containing thousands of records to Microsoft Office XP Access,

It depends on the complexity of the database. As far as I know, there is no utility to perform the conversion, but it may be possible to export the data into CSV format and then import it to you newly created database. You will probably need to rebuild any indexes used.

Sponsored Links
Back