Loud banging in central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
I get a real loud banging in my central heating system on average once a day that seems to start with a wooshing noise at the boiler then radiates out rattling all the pipes around the house. After a few seconds it seems to sort itself out then its alright again. The wooshing noise I think is water being forced extra fast through the boiler. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this to happen? The system is about 15 years old and the boiler is a Mysen Appolo. Would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Sponsored Links
its most likely to be air in your system, try bleeding your radiators while the heating is off.

Tell me is it a combi !!!

Mine does it every time on start up/burns bangs boils prv open discharge fill it up cause it`s empty then it`s grand

Sponsored Links
try switching boiler stat to low, if that stops the noise you need a new Hi stat.

Many thanks for all your ideas. Very much appreciated.

Garagerob, I have bled all the rads and hardly any air came out but problem still persists.

Pipeslice, No its not a combi, just an open vented boiler

Softus, so I got the spelling wrong! Should be Mysen Apollo

TWgas, thanks for the tip, however did not fix problem but was worth a try

Loud banging on an apollo is usually asociated with the pump stopping , which can be caused by the pump over run stat not returning to it proper postion after a call for heat,
Then when either CH OR hw call for heat again the burner fires up but the pump does not start (so loud banging as water expands and trys to get away) untill the pump over run stat senses heat within the combustion chamber and switches to give power to the pump again then everything runs quiet and normal

Softus, so I got the spelling wrong! Should be Mysen Apollo
That mumbling sound is me trying to eat humble pie with egg on my face.

I hereby tender my sincerest apologies for not reading your initial post properly.

Thanks for your advice Namsag. Sounds like you've got the answer there. Now when I call the service engineer out he won't be able to fob me off saying that "its nothing" and leaving it. Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back