Loud Boiler Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have a combi boiler that up till now has been fine. Just recently it has been making very loud knocking/gurgling (like when a kettle is initially boiling) noise which sounds like its coming from the pipes at the boiler, the bar pressure gage also jumps all over the place. This happens about 2 - 5 mins when the central heating is turned on and i've found i can get rid of the noise if i turn the bathroom hot taps on although the noise returns shortly after i turn them off. I have tried bleeding the rads and am unsure what to try next.

Hot water for baths/showers is fine no probs and the heating does work when the noise occurs but obviously something is not right.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply sorry for missing that out. its a worcester junior 28i its 3 years old.

could you possibly ellaborate on what DV and DHW mean if thats a possible problem i'm afraid im not very knowledgable.

The Junior it doesn't have a diverter valve.

Check the pump (in the boiler) is set on speed 3

Are the flow and return valves underneath the boiler fully open?

Otherwise sounds like blocked heating pipework or sludged up pump (the pump is only used for heating).

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm not sure how to check the speed settings of the pump or even how to get to the pump. I guess the valves are open unless they can close of their own accord? it has been fine up till recently.

I have a engineer from worcester coming out on Thursday to do the 1st inspection for a service contract. It may be I have to pay for anything wrong with the boiler before the service contract starts. Is what's been suggested expensive?

Thanks again

Pop off plastic shroud around controls.

Remove 2 screws.

Lift off outer casing.

Check pump on right hand side is set to speed 3. look carefully at the switch on the pump.

thanks gasguru will do and i'll post back tomorrow with answer

cheers for the help

Took the boiler cover off and confirmed the pump was on setting 3. I also release the valve on the pump in case any air was in there. Put heating on and the noise happened as usual. I put the pump setting to Speed 2 and i now get No noise. My question now is with 8 radiators in the house can i get away with it being on setting 2 or does is have to be on 3? What are the possible implications of this if any.

Thanks in advance.

Worcester technical could never make up their mind when I asked them about setting the speed lower on this model (the manual says set to 3).

The pump is only used for heating (and a short overrun after DHW drawoff) and running at speed 3 is way to high for small systems.

I think the boiler software (combined with slow thermal response from the sensors) is poorly designed and suggest you run whatever speed keeps the thing quiet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back