Potterton boiler fail and loud clunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Suprima 60 boiler.

Before people say it, yes i have suffered with the constant resetting, but that doesn't seem to be the problem now.

Just turned my system from hot water only to half hot water half heating.

noticed some knocking noises, and thought it was the neighbours banging next door, until i walked into the kitchen.

The boiler now lights, stays on for 30 seconds, with some added gurgling and kettle noises. Then the flame goes out, followed by bubbling and then loud popping noises. Almost sounds like the boiler is gonna go pop on me.

when restarted it happens again only quicker, and louder.

I've tried bleeding all rads and it hasn't changed.

I tried bleeding the Myson Compact CP53 pump, but either i'm doing it wrong or it's busted. I pulled the black cap off the middle and pulled out the middle bit, but it doesn't seem to bleed any air, and no water drips out. This is with system off and then turned on.

On top of all i moved the pump slightly and water is dripping out of the top whee it's been fixed on.

I need some advice, and the budget for repairs is non existent.

Sponsored Links
I need some advice, and the budget for repairs is non existent.

oh dear how sad never mind

if you unscrew the black bit on the pump (not pull it off)

then pull it and try to turn it
you will probably find it is stuck

so with it out then try to turn it put the speed on 3 when you do and have it powered

if it wont turn replace it :idea:

As people will tell i'm a complete plumbing novice. :confused:

I've pulled the black cap off, and pulled the metal bit inside out. This turns ok.

Will itstill be the pump??? :evil:

Sponsored Links
well you have the classic symptoms of a dead pump

try it with the heating on turn the boiler stat down as i suggested if its working you will know :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back