LOUD Crack/creak at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not a builder and I'm pretty new to having to worry about anything like this so please bear with me.

I live in a 1 bedroom house and have put boxes in the loft for storage. They are on scrap boards that are positioned across joists and I didn't really see this as a problem. None of the boxes are massivley heavy on their own but there is quite a lot up there.

The thing is, on a few occasions over the last few months I have been woken up by a loud cracking sound which sounds as though it's coming from the loft. It's the sort of cracking sound you get from something really tight moving a bit, like the noise of loosening a tight wheel nut on a car but loud enough to wake me up (not easily done usually).

Does this sound worrying? Should I get everything out of the loft immediately?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Got to be worth going up & having a look.
Why you are up there spread the load about.
What is the weight you have added?

It's all spread through the centre of the loft from one end to the other, I'd say a maximum of 300 kilos spread over 20 or so boxes. That's a rough estimate though.

It happened first when the weather got hot at the start of the summer and I thought it could possibly be where something is shrinking as it get's cooler as it happens at night? That's what I made up to calm the girlfriend down anyway.

It's always about the same time at night too.

If you cant see any cracks, then I would be inclined to agree with you.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'll just spread stuff out as much as possible and look for anything obvious.

All houses creak I know that, It's the loudness that surprises me.

Does your house have an iron waste pipe outside from the toilet? In my previous home, mine would give a loud crack round about 10-11pm, probably as it was cooling down from being in the sun.

I'd imagine it's just climactic expansion and contraction.

The fact you put boxes up there probably just made you more sensitive to any noises from above.

I was the same for a while after putting chipboard and assorted guff in my loft.

Phone ghost busters :LOL:

If theres no cracks on your ceilings it will be ok, but do as others suggested and spread the boxes out.

I might even take 200 kilos of the storted stuff out of the attic while I was up there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back