low acheavers

I've always felt with regard to discipline that in the fifties most of the teachers had recently been in the armed forces.They passed onto us the rigid rules and behaviour that had been drilled into them just a few years earlier.

Ex Sergeant Majors and the like didn't put up with bad behaviour and rule breaking.Some teachers were soft...but not many.

Over the years attitudes changed as did the teachers, and little by little discipline was eroded.

In my school at playtime...when the whistle blew you stood rock still, and if you moved or had any litter near your feet and hadn't picked it up God help you.

Sponsored Links
Imo, the abolition of discipline in schools is the very reason we have the problems we have now.

So fair play to them.

Hit the nail on the head there.

but imagine if they brought the cane back into schools now.

Discipline = cane?

It used to yes. By using it as an extreme example to illustrate the problems of introducing discipline into schools in the modern day I was using it in it's past tense.
Whatever form of discipline was brought in now would leave teachers open to the same kind of threats from violent parents.

I make no apologies for getting on my soapbox about children having children. How the **** is a 15 year old going to impart wisdom, morals and good manners on her child when she herself is a but an ignorant, selfish bint whose main or only interest is leaving the child with gramps so she can party? These days they sport a baby like a badge of honour, “oh look at my achievement, aren’t I clever? I’m off to get a slag tag now paid for by the state thanks”. A source close to me said the school she goes to is like an unmarried mothers club!

I’m probably going to sound like I’m lying or exaggerating now but I have a vivid and frightening memory of a teacher when I was at the juniors school in the 60’s. Mr Sambrooks, (bastard), ruled with an iron fist; like they all did back then. He always used to use one of those wooden yard rulers, meant for a backboard, but it was missing on this particular day.

In the stock room annexed to the classroom there was some sports equipment, so he retrieved a cricket bat and ordered the kid to touch his toes, whereupon he gave him such a belt it knocked him off his feet! I remember being absolutely sh1t scared;
smilie_aengstl1.gif
You could hear a pin drop in the classroom afterwards. I tell you, if he said jump you’d reply how high sir? And back then you didn’t ever dare tell your parents, or parent in my case. :cry:

You can’t libel a dead person can you? Too late...

Sponsored Links
thatcher
no job
no maturity
no discapline
kids
no role model
no maturity
no discpline
no education
kids
no role for dummies any more no job

i remember in junior school,and it was a roman catholic 1 aswell.nuns and all that.im c of e the school was about 500 yds from my parents house.
me and a m8 were larking about in a pe lesson i think,unbeknown to us the head master wee little man was watching from the foyer.came running in like the devil himself with arm outstretched holding a plimsoll and gave a hiding to my m8,THANK THE LORD HE DIDNT DO ME :LOL:
i bumped into him a few years later,and i towered over him,all the memories came back but was thinking if he raised his voice at me would i s.hite myself or batter HIS ar5se ?. :eek:

Spare the rod- Spoil the child .
I am a great believer in 'sayings'- that's why they have stood the test of time .

However- if the rod was aimed at my child- !!!

I had a few 3' bamboo canes whacked across my great ass when I was at school.
Left wield marks on it. (ass) not the cane.
Had the cricket bat too.
Also had the metalwork teachers full repertoire as he positioned me over the anville.

In my day, if a spot of summary justice was meted out by the teacher or local bobby, the last thing you did was tell your dad because you'd get another leathering. Not forgetting the bobby would make sure your parents found out anyway.
Soon learnt it was best to try and keep out of bother

In my day, if a spot of summary justice was meted out by the teacher
Nowadays you'd have run off to France with your teacher for a love-in
or local bobby,
Were these the same bobbies that would ignore your claims of abuse?
the last thing you did was tell your dad because you'd get another leathering.
Most of the hoodlums don't have fathers
etc etc :mrgreen:

I went to the school open night for my youngest who is starting secondary school in September. It was blinding. There was so much going on. It's just got academy status so they have the chance to apply new disciplinary procedures: not putting up with any nonsense and acting quickly to sort it out. The parents are complaining there is too much discipline. The same barmy families were not to be seen at the open night. Their kids will probably be low aspiration low achievers and be potentially disruptive. Its just great irony the kid's that get want to get on at school will be the future people that will pay for their total existence.
Surly you meant to say, low-achievers?

Wotan

Surely you meant to say surely?

:LOL: :LOL:

The new academy is surely working under the same laws as the previous school in terms of discipline, it was just that the previous regime could not or would not enforce a similar code.

From what I have seen, if you have a good head you can have a good school regardless of what you call it.

I was caned at school and 'never did me any harm' , and I probably deserved it a bit more often if truth be told but it was abused by some sadists.

The best teachers I had never had to resort to beating children, they got respect by force of their personality and strict but consistent code.

Schools under Local Authority control are rarely permitted to exclude pupils and the governing body will often be over-ruled by the council if need be. Schools are also fined if they do exclude pupils.

Academies are financed directly by government and thus have greater freedom to impose stricter regimes.

Prior to becoming an academy a school would have to adhere to the procedures laid out by the local education authority. Once they become an academy they are now able to write their own disciplinary procedures. For example, prior to the academy the school did not have the power to send students home if they were not in uniform. Now they do.

All sounds lovely. Until of course you realise that the headteacher becomes all the more powerful and difficult to call to account. There is also the other little thing about being able to set their own pay scales as well for certain jobs. But hey, ho, a small price to pay :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back