low acheavers

I am sure that these days if a daughter or son was hurt by a teacher- for any reason whatever--a loving parent would want to sort things out pronto.
It is a normal reaction.

However- that situation will never arise again .

So- now 'little Chap'-- please go read your previous posts regarding savile hurting other peoples children.

Double standards come to mind 'little Chappy'.

Now- be a good lad- and let everyone else (who are not members of your pack) discuss the subject in hand please .

Sponsored Links
I am sure that these days if a daughter or son was hurt by a teacher- for any reason whatever--a loving parent would want to sort things out pronto.
It is a normal reaction.

However- that situation will never arise again .

So- now 'little Chap'-- please go read your previous posts regarding savile hurting other peoples children.

Double standards come to mind 'little Chappy'.

Now- be a good lad- and let everyone else (who are not members of your pack) discuss the subject in hand please .
Yes lets discuss the matter in hand which was chapeau asking the reason you where wanted in the US? Come on sidney do tell all I'll put kettle on

I'm a retired teacher and, whilst I would take no pleasure whatsoever in dishing out corporal punishment, I completely agree with those who would like it brought back - properly witnessed and recorded, of course.

However, the strength of feeling prevalent against it suggests that it is most unlikely to be re-adopted any time soon. So in the meantime we shall all have to get used to the way things are going with regard to the behaviour and attitude of children and young people.

As for the type of parent who threatens to come round and 'sort you out' (and I have met them - they don't scare me), I suspect they themselves are members of the first generation of the laissez-faire, child-centred approach to education. Yes, it has been going on that long.

Hopefully, that nice Mr Gove is beginning to make the first tentative steps towards sorting out some long-standing problems in a half-hearted sort of way. However, I don't realistically expect to see any real changes in my lifetime.

I think we've lost the plot a bit here and blurred into a Harry Enfield pub scene. I think the difference between the new academy discipline is the offending kid is out of the classroom, leaving the the kids that want to learn in peace. That's got to be a good result as far as the parents are concerned. We seem to be cursed with a strata of society living in a lord of the flies world, disenfranchised from the main stream because of successive generations of unemployed and unskilled with no prospect of a job,and no ability to mature past the age 12, therefore never becoming a good role model. Even Maggie thatcher said the underclass will be a problem. A bit ironic!

Sponsored Links
I think the difference between the new academy discipline is the offending kid is out of the classroom, leaving the the kids that want to learn in peace.

I'm all in favour of that. Many are the times I've wished to get rid of disruptive influences so that I can get on with actually doing some teaching rather than social work.

There once was a philosophy, widely held amongst the powers-that-be, that maintained that if you put together well behaved children with badly-behaved children, the former would influence the latter in a positive way. Sadly, the reverse proved to be true.

JBR speaks absolute sense in my book.

But segregation doesn't, and can't, solve two generations of what amounts to a monumental f*ck up.

Not forgetting the teachers are by no means blameless here.

With respect and without looking for a fight, please could you explain precisely where teachers are at fault? We follow laws and regulations decided by our political masters; we cannot break these without impunity and by and large our opinions and views are ignored by those who have to make a name for themselves and justify their political salaries :confused:

With respect and without looking for a fight, please could you explain precisely where teachers are at fault?

I didn't say they were at fault, I said they weren't entirely blameless.

We've had this conversation before I think.

Teachers sold themselves down the river, when proposals were made for massive changes in the system, they paddled the same way and made it a hugely more difficult job.

They all come out in force when the subject of pay comes up.......But when the abolition of discipline was introduced, not a dicky bird.

Don't get me wrong, I have massive respect for teachers.

And perhaps the teachers who were far too eager to whack a young ar$e back in our day are partly responsible for the ending of corporal punishment in schools.

I'd like to think so even if the present lot of teachers don't.

I think that the writing was on the wall at the end of the 1970's when the concept of social control across the board via physical means was considered and decided to no longer be the vogue, nor an acceptable modus operandi. We may look back at episodes of the Sweeney or indeed the methods of George Gently with mixed emotions, which is sort of the point.

So alternative methods of control have been advocated, with varying degrees of success. Schools have changed following subsequent micro decisions, with the occasional humdinger such as the (IMO pathetic and misguided) introduction of "social inclusion".

This differs from an industrial dispute over pay, pension and working conditions since (apart from the bleeding obvious reason!!!) it has been foisted lock, stock and barrel out of the blue and contrary to acceptable agreements made within the previous couple of years by the use governments own not inconsiderable civil service investigation without even a hint of negotiation :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back